Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2011, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default sata 6bg question

never really bothered to read up about sata 6gb, but i plan on upgrading my computer over the next few weeks and wanted to know if i can use sata 3gb drives on the 6gb ports.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:24 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

IIRC, SATA 6gb is backwards compatible with SATA 3gb, so it should be no problem.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Backwards compatible.
Old August 7, 2011, 02:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Since most (all?) SATA3-capable mobos also include SATA2 ports, I'd simply use SATA2 for your older SSDs and HDDs and save the SATA3 ports for newer drives as you add them.
Old August 7, 2011, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

kinda hard to fit 8 sata drives on 4 ports, and the ports work fine for sata 2 drives.
Old August 7, 2011, 03:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

8 SATA drives internally? Wow. I guess you probably use RAID. That reminds me of the bad old days before USB2 when you had to get a full-tower server case to hold all the internal HDDs required to assemble an array of less than a terabyte.

Or do you use eSATA for some of them?

That's a lot of heat to dissipate and watts on your PSU. With the advent of USB3, I prefer to keep all mechanical HDDs outside the box on their own power supplies.

You say you're planning your mobo upgrade? Some MBs are well supplied with SATA ports. Mine has 4 SATA3 (2 Intel + 2 Marvell) and 6 SATA2 (4 internal 2 eSATA). The SATA3 ports are strictly for SSDs. HDDs come nowhere near saturating SATA2 and are barely even bottlenecked by SATA1.

If in your case you're only using SATA2 devices, SATA3 is obviously not an issue as it's indeed backwards compatible.
Old August 7, 2011, 03:58 PM
MVP

Now that the original question has been answered, I have one of my own. I have read posts on various forums referencing that intel sata 6g controlers are superior to AMD's, and SSD's will be faster on intel systems.

1. Is this true
2. If it is true, is it a big difference or only the kind of thing you will see in benchmarks.
Old August 7, 2011, 04:15 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes it is true, will you notice the dif in real life....depends on what you use the rig for and what SSD you are using.
If you are a normal user and you have say a 240GB Vertex 3 MI / Mushkin Chronos / Pat Wildfire....no way. If you are a power user...maybe a second here and there.

Now if you have an older Sata 6'er like say the C300 that doesnt have power to burn...then maybe you will notice it. I personally notice it on my amd rig and M4 256GB...but the difference is not night and day. At worst you are looking at probably low double digit percentage dif and at best single digit performance difference.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr