Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2011, 09:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Pentium G620 and Pentium G850

Still haven't decided what cpu I am going to put into my build, but I know its going to be a SB chip since my latest purchase.

However, I am looking at these for my oldest son. He wants to build his own computer now, and is going to be getting all the parts with his own money. Are these even worht looking at? I know he could get one and use it for a bit, then upgrade later when he has put away more money.

Basically all it would be doing is gaming, some net surfing, and some watching of you tube.

At this point, haven't ruled out any parts, or decided on any specific parts for him yet.
Old July 28, 2011, 09:44 PM
Banned
F@H

they kill previous chips be it clarkdale or wolfdale, but theres no clocking so theyre no fun. i wouldnt get one.
Old July 28, 2011, 10:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would either go 1156 or FM1 in your kid's case. Probably FM1 since you can play Crysis on the IGPU at low resolutions, so you can just give him an old monitor and he can get a really inexpensive system that he can tweak and mess around with. I would be careful of motherboard choice though, it seems none of the manufacturers wanted to put more than the minimum amount of power phases required.
Old July 29, 2011, 05:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't use these chips by themselves, they are the only SB chips that have no HD acceleration meaning if you want to watch 720p or higher stuff on the net or movies/tv shows these chips cannot do it on their own (or use it as an onboard graphics card for video games either). I learned this the hard way with an htpc build trying to save money.
Old July 29, 2011, 06:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Not too worried about over clocking for him yet. He hasn't learned about those tweaks YET. One reason I was looking at these chips was the upgrade path available, he could save his money and get himself a K proc later.

I am also heavily leaning towards the AM3+ path for him. He doesn't need anything fancy, I just wanted to get people's takes on the 1155 Pentium procs.

He has also decided which video card he wants, just hasn't told me his choice yet.