Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2011, 08:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I fail to see how posting in multiple different forums with a different social circle attending each has any bearing on how this gentleman feels over product support...regardless how much said MSI 'issue' is (in my opinion) a non-issue.

Do you only ever tell your best friend a problem, and never any other living person? I'm quite sure if you were bladed by a shady car dealer, you would tell all your different social circles of friends.
Thank you Sagath, I see that you understand what it is I'm doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Mobo last 10 years, lol come back on earth dude, 3 year is good for any IT product.

also, people that usually multipost on multiple forum usually have nothing interesting to say or have no valid reason doing it ( workblog are exluded ). Maybe I should pos that one on multiple forum.
Funny, I have 3 motherboards that would disagree with you. One is 8 years old, one is 7 and one is 5. And you know what dude? They were all made here on earth. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvgearx View Post
Dude, are you serious? BioStar have top notch boards if you don't cheap out.

I still have a MSI K8TM socket 754(made in china), still running strong.
Oh and good to know you found you way around the net.

I will NEVER purchase another MSI product again, here's why. - [H]ard|Forum

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4053638
Damn right I did. If you'll notice, I didn't ask a question, I made a statement. I'm not looking for sympathy here (don't know why anyone would think that). I'm letting people know about what was a bad experience with what was supposed to be a flagship-level motherboard. Call it a public service announcement. Some might say my expectations were unrealisitic but let's face it, wouldn't you expect a $200 piece of technology to be longer-lived than a $50 piece of technology? If not, I hope that you are happy with your Sempron processor...lol

BTW, you missed it on tomshardware. Now you can collect them all!
Old July 27, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette Radeon View Post
*snip OP
Tl:DR all. Basically it looks like you're mad a product failed after 3+ years of use. Things can die earlier than expected and you can't do anything about it you know. When problems were starting to become more common, you should've taken steps to try and fix it as quickly as possible and not waiting till the end of time to fix it. You bought a high-end motherboard which usually means that you were going to push the motherboard to or near it's limits. This in turn means that you are going to shorten the lifespan of the motherboard. There's a reason why F1 engines last only a couple races compared to the average car on the road which has a lifespan of XX years if you maintain it properly, even if you don't follow the scheduled maintenance intervals.

Just because of one bad experience you're hating MSI as a whole. I SMH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
I have an M2N-E SLI, but still, new hardware doesn't have the longevity as alot of older hardware does these days, i was running a pentium 2 up until last year, and it's now a file server and running strong.
Now that is a crap mobo. I have a M2N-E and I'm hating it so much I just wish it'd die already so I can go and build a new PC. Of course, I can always kill it physically by spilling water on it while it's on, but I won't.
Old July 27, 2011, 08:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:

Funny, I have 3 motherboards that would disagree with you. One is 8 years old, one is 7 and one is 5. And you know what dude? They were all made here on earth. lol
Well then since you have such a MASSIVE sample size of FOUR to back that up....your absolutely right. All mobos should last a decade or more. / roll eyes

For every mobo I have that has lasted 5+ years...there is a couple that died at 1, 2, 3 and 4 years. Hell i have an old Asus P1 90mhz kicking around here somewhere...should I expect every mobo ever made after that to last a couple decades?

The reality is dude that if product X is given a three year warranty than that is the lifespan to expect from it. Everyday after that is a BONUS...not a right, not a privilege. Dont bitch and moan when the mfg'er isnt willing to extend your warranty by FIVE months just because you ask them to. Like all parts mobos are meant last a certain period of time. This period of time is called the WARRANTY period. Anything shorter than this costs them in RMA's. Anything longer than that costs the mfg'er money in lost sales. THAT is how they ALL look at it. Sucks, but thats life.

There are ways to increase your ODDS of getting a rig to last longer than that, but thats all you are doing is increasing the ODDS.

1) install a GOOD UPS on the system. dirty power kills PSUs. Bad/dying psu....kills systems
2) buy a good PSU. crap psu with large ripple == shortened lifespan for system
3) buy a good case with GOOD air flow. Cooler air == cooler parts == longer life'ish.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; July 27, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old July 27, 2011, 09:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There is no Finite lifespan on anything. This is the key to understanding regardless of what you paid for it. I know no one wants anything to fail but at the end of the day it is just how technology goes, you cannot realistically expect hardware to always last that long, there are just TOO many factors that control its lifespan (AkG has touched on the most important ones).

And, OCZ PSU's have wierd PF ratings and some strange Power Rushes that can created their own kind of havoc, I avoid them like the plauge.
Once you get into a massive hardware sample you will see that failure is common. Regardless of Manufacturer. If you look MB to MB across the vendors you will see that they use a lot of the same parts...

Anywho, Hopefully you will find some solace that you can upgrade to something more current now.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 27, 2011, 09:34 PM
Banned
F@H

as per above, the sure thing is that it will fail at one point in time.

when?

if you have covered all the basis for trouble(power,enviro,etc), then flip a coin.

frend of mine just lost his few week old i3 system i (over) built for him...he tells me he thinks the fact that it was in the kitchen and stuck to the oven that his wife uses daily might had something to do with it
Old July 28, 2011, 01:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
There is no Finite lifespan on anything. This is the key to understanding regardless of what you paid for it. I know no one wants anything to fail but at the end of the day it is just how technology goes, you cannot realistically expect hardware to always last that long, there are just TOO many factors that control its lifespan (AkG has touched on the most important ones).
I can't completely agree with you here, a lot of products are engineered to last a certain duration on average to sustain the consumer purchasing a new/replacement one down the line, otherwise they can't really get more money if their product lasts forever. Typically products are engineered to to last roughly the duration of the warranty (electronics as an example) and anything beyond that warranty period is either a good/lucky item, or a product engineered with a longer shelf life (rarer)
Old July 28, 2011, 01:30 PM

Im lucky to have a mb last 1 year let alone 3 or 10 lol. They dont make stuff like they used to
Old July 28, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Talking

Quote:
Thank you Sagath, I see that you understand what it is I'm doing.

Damn right I did. If you'll notice, I didn't ask a question, I made a statement. I'm not looking for sympathy here (don't know why anyone would think that). I'm letting people know about what was a bad experience with what was supposed to be a flagship-level motherboard. Call it a public service announcement. Some might say my expectations were unrealisitic but let's face it, wouldn't you expect a $200 piece of technology to be longer-lived than a $50 piece of technology? If not, I hope that you are happy with your Sempron processor...lol

BTW, you missed it on tomshardware. Now you can collect them all!

Let me get this straight, so you only wanted them to either fix/replace your board or some how give you some thing in return. Because;
Quote:
I thought to myself "Sure, it's only a 3 year warranty but MSI wouldn't want a customer to be burned on one of their flagship boards by having it fail essentially right after the warranty ends."
And your not happy with MSI because they won't warrant a board that is out of warranty.

A fact, most of the time it is usually the high end stuff that usually goes first or problems.

Take a look at the RMA feedback. Most of those are performance parts.

Canadian RMA Experience

Next time purchase EVGA mother boards that offer life time warranty.

The Classified3, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Silvgearx; July 28, 2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old July 28, 2011, 07:25 PM

Bingo. We have a winner. Sounds to me like the OP needs to put on his big boy pants and realize the world doesn't owe him jack. Maybe he should consider this a good learning exercise and move on.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 29, 2011, 06:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have exceptional luck with motherboards.

I've had one Abit die, one Asus and one Gigabyte.

The Abit died from capacitors, during the Great Capacitor Fiasco.

The Asus and Gigabyte died from faulty PSUs.

The Asus actually had chips blown right off the motherboard and off the HD PCBs. It was quite the catastrophic failure.

I'm up in the hundreds of builds and so I'm running at about a 1% failure rate. 95% are Asus motherboards. Many leave OC'd and never any issues.