Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2011, 02:49 PM
Banned
F@H

pretty normal from any manu with a x year warranty on there products.

also that ocz psu of yours? hah. if its got unstable voltages over time it will kil lthings..:)

dont write off the cause as the mobo right off the bat..:)
Old July 27, 2011, 03:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
pretty normal from any manu with a x year warranty on there products.

also that ocz psu of yours? hah. if its got unstable voltages over time it will kil lthings..:)

dont write off the cause as the mobo right off the bat..:)
That's a very good point but it's impossible to be sure. Pretty much every review I've read on the Z-series has stated that it has fantastic voltage regulation so I don't know what to think. I do know that it will run stable at 1250w according to Hard OCP and I've never really pushed it with my system as it was. Meh, I'll try the test that was suggested and I'll see what happens.
Old July 27, 2011, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette Radeon View Post

Well what really puzzled me was that an old ECS (Which ranked right up there with BioStar), which had been made in China before Chinese stuff was considered decent, still works. It's weird, you'd think that technological advancements would increase longevity by default since the materials used in construction would have theoretically improved as well. I guess that would be too logical for them.
Dude, are you serious? BioStar have top notch boards if you don't cheap out.

I still have a MSI K8TM socket 754(made in china), still running strong.

Oh and good to know you found you way around the net.

I will NEVER purchase another MSI product again, here's why. - [H]ard|Forum

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4053638
Old July 27, 2011, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvgearx View Post
I fail to see how posting in multiple different forums with a different social circle attending each has any bearing on how this gentleman feels over product support...regardless how much said MSI 'issue' is (in my opinion) a non-issue.

Do you only ever tell your best friend a problem, and never any other living person? I'm quite sure if you were bladed by a shady car dealer, you would tell all your different social circles of friends.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 27, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette Radeon View Post
I didn't expect a replacement at all, I did say that in the post. You have to agree though that to have an expensive flagship-level motherboard fail just months after the warranty ends is maddening when most motherboards last 10 years or more. What makes it even worse is that I'm stuck (until Bulldozer's release) with one half of my HD 4870 Crossfire setup because there are no more AM2+ Crossfire boards on the market anymore.

Mobo last 10 years, lol come back on earth dude, 3 year is good for any IT product.

also, people that usually multipost on multiple forum usually have nothing interesting to say or have no valid reason doing it ( workblog are exluded ). Maybe I should pos that one on multiple forum.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 27, 2011, 06:08 PM
MVP

I think you're overreacting. Whatever issues MSI may or may not have, this is far from a horror story. I know it's frustrating when a product fails, especially shortly after its warranty has ended, but you gotta suck it up when it happens.

Regarding 'flagship' products: in my personal experience, the people who go gung-ho and get the most expensive hardware that push limits and/or have more features encounter the greatest number of issues. I expect exotic builds to be less reliable.
Old July 27, 2011, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I fail to see how posting in multiple different forums with a different social circle attending each has any bearing on how this gentleman feels over product support...regardless how much said MSI 'issue' is (in my opinion) a non-issue.

Do you only ever tell your best friend a problem, and never any other living person? I'm quite sure if you were bladed by a shady car dealer, you would tell all your different social circles of friends.

Well, he is using the wrong tone/approach.

Product support?

Quote:
I realised that it had only been 4-5 months since my warranty expired and so I contacted MSI support. I thought to myself "Sure, it's only a 3 year warranty but MSI wouldn't want a customer to be burned on one of their flagship boards by having it fail essentially right after the warranty ends." I didn't expect a replacement but I thought "Maybe they'll send me a coupon that I can use to get a discount on another MSI motherboard to replace this one." Well, their answer was "We are sorry, but your warranty expired in March of this year." which was basically the same as "Get lost kid, ya bother me!". I didn't even know what to say in reply because I didn't anticipate that response.

Car dealers are probably the darkest of the black in society.
Old July 27, 2011, 06:50 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I am sorry to hear that your mobo died on you. But by the same token....four or five MONTHS after the warranty expired and you seriously expected them to do anything for you? No manufacturer will help you. Not even Apple would have as if MSI had they would be basically be extending the warranty to EVERYONE to 3.5yrs. If it had been a week or two, then yeah maybe you would have more reason to be upset, but four or five MONTHS is not "essentially just out of warranty"...its LONG, LONG after the warranty. As it stands you purchased a product with a 3 year warranty. You got nearly 3.5yrs out of it. What is the problem?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 27, 2011, 07:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with AKG, I ahve had a very good experience with MSI actually. I purchased a x58 board of someone here, it broke, and MSI is amazing as they offer warranty based on serial number, all I had to do was go to their rma site, fill out a form, I got an email reply the very next morning approximately 7 hours later. And got an address and an RMA number, sent it in, received an email from them at 12:46pm est stating they have received my item. At 1:15pm, I received another email stating my replacement item has been shipped. I got the mobo and was brand spanking new.

They are the only company I have ever rma'd and that experience was amazing, I love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I am sorry to hear that your mobo died on you. But by the same token....four or five MONTHS after the warranty expired and you seriously expected them to do anything for you? No manufacturer will help you. Not even Apple would have as if MSI had they would be basically be extending the warranty to EVERYONE to 3.5yrs. If it had been a week or two, then yeah maybe you would have more reason to be upset, but four or five MONTHS is not "essentially just out of warranty"...its LONG, LONG after the warranty. As it stands you purchased a product with a 3 year warranty. You got nearly 3.5yrs out of it. What is the problem?
Old July 27, 2011, 07:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Its unfortunate that your motherboard died, flagship product for an architecture/chipset or not, companies do not have to offer you anything once their warranty expires. If you were to be dealing with any other company (electronics or otherwise) they would tell you the same thing, that the product is now out of warranty and if you want any support you'll have to pay the standard fees.

Only time I'll deal with (and have dealt with companies) are when I'm within my warranty period and typically (sometimes with some proding) they'll honour their warranties. Asus, Gigabyte, hell Best Buy gave me a refund on a product that i purchased from them (and their extended warranty) that they could not fix as there are no Best Buys out in New Brunswick essentially. If any of my products were out of warranty all three companies would have asked me for my wallet/credit card number to pay for the repairs.