Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2008, 12:39 PM
Rookie

Default Building a Dual Socket System

Hi folks. I am looking to build a dual socket system with 2 Xeon 5410's on a Supermicro board. I am hoping that someone can tell me the following:

Is building a dual socket system substantially different from a single socket system? Are there special considerations, processes, procedures, that are different or more complicated?

I have been assuming that the only difference was installing two proc's instead of one.

If there are any differences and anyone can point me towards resources/info online, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Paul
Old February 6, 2008, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rogers View Post
Hi folks. I am looking to build a dual socket system with 2 Xeon 5410's on a Supermicro board. I am hoping that someone can tell me the following:

Is building a dual socket system substantially different from a single socket system? Are there special considerations, processes, procedures, that are different or more complicated?

I have been assuming that the only difference was installing two proc's instead of one.

If there are any differences and anyone can point me towards resources/info online, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Paul
The only major difference your gonna find with building a dual socket board is that they are usually server boards which end up needing ECC memory which can raise the cost.
Old February 6, 2008, 01:09 PM
Rookie

Thanks Enaberif. Ya I have sourced the parts I am going to use, which includes FB ECC Ram. It's taken a ton of research but I think I am pretty good for my parts list. I am more concerned with differences in the actual build process. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul
Old February 6, 2008, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rogers View Post
Thanks Enaberif. Ya I have sourced the parts I am going to use, which includes FB ECC Ram. It's taken a ton of research but I think I am pretty good for my parts list. I am more concerned with differences in the actual build process. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul
Again no difference at all its just like building a single socket board except you have two sockets :D

Dual socket machines are a riot to work with as its amazing to see two cpus work together.
Old February 6, 2008, 01:30 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Don't forget the cpu coolers! Larger tower heatsink and some of the smaller wider one wont be able to clear one another on the board. So make sure to get two that fit nicely on your board without interfering with eachother. Another thing along the same lines - If you can get coolers that can orient in any direction do so, cause sending the heat "towards the back" of the case will cause one processor to shoot its heat at the second. Instead, if you can get ones that orient in any direction, make them both shoot their heat upwards.
Old February 6, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

does the board your getting support overclocking? I've got a Tyan dual socket board its its got Zero overclocking features.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old February 6, 2008, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
does the board your getting support overclocking? I've got a Tyan dual socket board its its got Zero overclocking features.
Server boards are designed for stability not performance so in general you will not be able to overclock most server boards.
Old February 6, 2008, 03:22 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Unless you're willing to wait for Skulltrail.
Old February 6, 2008, 04:01 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

There's PSEL mods for some of the CPU's and that's about it. Memory can be tweaked a bit via software but not much of that either. Skulltrail for a 100 bucks more is the best bet for an enthusiast tweakable rig.