Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2011, 02:58 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default PC freezes while installing Windows 7

I'm suspecting that I have a bad motherboard that's why I'm posting here.

HP Pavilion dv5

I get this computer and the girl tells me that it freezes all the time. It came with Vista and she installed 7 a while back. She said after she installed 7 she was getting blue screens but they went away and now the PC just freezes. When I try and start the PC, Windows 7 freezes on start up at the same point every time.

What I did:
  • I ram memtest and the memory is fine.
  • I ran all the hard drive tests that come with "Easy Recovery Pro" now I have my own HDD in it just to make sure its not the HDD.
When I try to install Vista or 7 it freezes after unpacking files during the part where its actually installing. Always around 8%. If I try and install XP I just get a blue screen.

Here are the things I'm dealing with.
  • Windows 7 will not load, the PC freezes on startup at the same point every time.
  • Cannot install Win 7 or Vista, PC freezes during "Expanding Files" always between 5% and 9%. I just tried again and it made it to 25%......
  • While trying to install Vista/7 the Expanding File's part goes real slow, painfully slow until it finally freezes.
  • Cannot install XP, blue screens before the install begins.
  • If I start Win 7 in safe mode, it works, no freeze ups.
  • When I put my own HDD in, my HDD had Vista on it from another PC, when I started the laptop it runs that Vista with no freeze ups.... (that HDD has been formatted now while trying to install Windows)
  • This last time I let the computer sit while frozen, I was busy. I just got an error - "Install Windows - WIndows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007045D". - Haven't had time to look up the code, gotta go shopping and will check it out when I get back.

I would not come here for help, at this point I would just say the mainboard is shot but this PC belongs to a college student who needs it by Tuesday night and I just don't want to give the bad news that she needs a new laptop until I'm absolutely sure.
Old July 3, 2011, 03:11 PM
Banned
F@H

could be heat related?

remove the battery too just in case

does linux boot up fine or not? try a couple distros if youre not sure
Old July 3, 2011, 03:13 PM
Rookie

I'm not talking by experience, but the "blue screen of death" was always affecting my pc.
After ran Memtest86, it showed up any errors.
Kept my search on the internet, and found that my problem could be on the RAM.
Took my pc to the store, they changed the RAM, and done.
No more blue screens :)
Old July 3, 2011, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan G View Post
[*]Cannot install XP, blue screens before the install begins.[*]If I start Win 7 in safe mode, it works, no freeze ups.[*]When I put my own HDD in, my HDD had Vista on it from another PC, when I started the laptop it runs that Vista with no freeze ups.... (that HDD has been formatted now while trying to install Windows)

I would not come here for help
There's nothing wrong with asking here - it's not like we charge you or something

The HP Pavillion dv5 is a relatively new model so you probably have to set the storage controller in BIOS to legacy (not AHCI) mode for XP to work. Otherwise it won't know what to do with the hard drives.

How are you installing the Windows versions? Through DVD-ROM? If so, try using a different optical drive or USB key to install just to rule out a bugged optical drive.

Also as dangtx suggested, slowing down to a complete freeze sounds like heat problems - blast the laptop out with compressed air for good measure.

The fact that safe mode works and OS installers don't lead me to think of heat, some messed up drivers, virus, or troubles with I/O (hard disk and / or optical).

Another thing you could do to cram an OS into there is use a DIFFERENT computer to install the OS onto whatever hard drive, then switch the hard drive (and the CD) to the target computer, in this case the dv5 on the very first restart of the installer. (i.e. after it's done copying files but before it does the Windows Experience Index benchmarks)
Note I only tried that last bit with Ubuntu but since Windows Vista / 7 switched to an image-based installer I don't see why it won't work.
Old July 4, 2011, 11:03 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
could be heat related?

remove the battery too just in case

does linux boot up fine or not? try a couple distros if youre not sure
I'm wondering if it's a heat problem but if it is, why can i load it in safe mode and run it? I'm trying it with out the battery as I'm typing this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbasiickz View Post
I'm not talking by experience, but the "blue screen of death" was always affecting my pc.
After ran Memtest86, it showed up any errors.
as i stated, I ran memtest with no errors, also, if it was memory I would not be having the install problems at the same point, it would be random, also, I would have trouble in safe mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
There's nothing wrong with asking here - it's not like we charge you or something
Thanx.

Quote:
The HP Pavillion dv5 is a relatively new model so you probably have to set the storage controller in BIOS to legacy (not AHCI) mode for XP to work. Otherwise it won't know what to do with the hard drives.
There is no setting for that in the BIOS, I keep looking. I've had that trouble with other PC's, mainly Dell's, where I have to change that setting to install an OS.

Quote:
How are you installing the Windows versions? Through DVD-ROM? If so, try using a different optical drive or USB key to install just to rule out a bugged optical drive.
This laptop has eSATA so I put a regular DVD/CD on the eSATA, made it to 50% on expanding the files, I thought I had it, that's way farther than before, but, it froze at 51%

Quote:
Also as dangtx suggested, slowing down to a complete freeze sounds like heat problems - blast the laptop out with compressed air for good measure.
I did that, blew it out first thing, that is the first thing I do with all laptops I work on. In the BIOS there is a setting to have the fan run all the time and it's turned on, so I was able to verify that IT IS ON and working, so that's not the problem...

She did admit she would lay the laptop on her bed (on the comforter) while using it, so she may have damaged the CPU with heat, BUT, again, as I figured earlier, why did I have no trouble with "safe mode"???

Quote:
The fact that safe mode works and OS installers don't lead me to think of heat, some messed up drivers, virus, or troubles with I/O (hard disk and / or optical).
I'm sure it's not virus, I put the HDD in my work computer and formatted it. I also checked for any viruses in the boot sectors.
I didn't see anything about drivers for this PC on HP's site or in any other post on this PC.
As far as the I/O, I used 2 different HDD's and 2 different DVD/CD's so if it's an I/O problem (I also suspect that) then I think it's something internal, a motherboard problem....

Quote:
Another thing you could do to cram an OS into there is use a DIFFERENT computer to install the OS onto whatever hard drive, then switch the hard drive (and the CD) to the target computer, in this case the dv5 on the very first restart of the installer. (i.e. after it's done copying files but before it does the Windows Experience Index benchmarks)
Note I only tried that last bit with Ubuntu but since Windows Vista / 7 switched to an image-based installer I don't see why it won't work.
I was thinking the same thing myself, and I will try that tonight after I take my kids out for a 4th of July day, like is said, I did that with my HDD that had vista, and it worked. Now that drive is formatted, I should have just made that work by installing drivers and such, then I could be done with it...
Old July 4, 2011, 11:09 AM
Banned
F@H

safe mode runs the lot at lower clocks, ESPECIALLY gpu :)
Old July 4, 2011, 11:12 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

one more thing about heat. I'm not sure about this but I was told that when you are in the BIOS your CPU is running at 100%, so if I can stay in the BIOS for long amounts of time, wouldn't this prove to me it's not a heat problem???
Old July 4, 2011, 11:35 AM
Banned
F@H

you could also run prime from the ubcd cd, its probably not as stressfull as the windows version but still.
Old July 4, 2011, 06:54 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
you could also run prime from the ubcd cd, its probably not as stressfull as the windows version but still.
That wouldn't help, she needs to run MS Office for school so she needs Windows.

I'm back from the beach and all the holiday stuff is over so I can concentrate on my work now. At this time I put her HDD in my laptop and I'm installing Vista on it. On the first reboot I'll put it in her laptop and see what happens. If that don't work, I'll give up and assume it's either the mainboard or the CPU.
Old July 4, 2011, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmm if it is a laptop ( which going by the name it probably is) I think that you would be able to tell easily if it was a heat issue because you would feel the actual heat, what about a repair install?
but like was asked above try to run a live linux distro to see if it actually runs under linux also if she did do a upgrade instead of a fresh install of Win7 that has been none to cause issue also. if it runs ok under the live Linux distro then use linux ( if the data on there isn't important) to format the disk and then do a fresh install that way