Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan G View Post
She did admit she would lay the laptop on her bed (on the comforter) while using it, so she may have damaged the CPU with heat, BUT, again, as I figured earlier, why did I have no trouble with "safe mode"???
Hmm in that case recommend a lap desk, laptop cooler, or chunk of hard plastic to rest the laptop on when this gets resolved. When I need to use my laptop on a soft surface I use either a chunk of scrap UHMW plastic I have lying around or my Antec Notebook Cooler 200 (overkill).
Old July 5, 2011, 11:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Hmm in that case recommend a lap desk, laptop cooler, or chunk of hard plastic to rest the laptop on when this gets resolved. When I need to use my laptop on a soft surface I use either a chunk of scrap UHMW plastic I have lying around or my Antec Notebook Cooler 200 (overkill).
I've done everything I could, either the mainboard or CPU is damaged. I told her she needs to get another one, either a Toshiba or Asus and get a laptop cooler, it's worth the xtra $20 or more when you like to use it on beds and couches.

I want to thank everyone here for their input/help.
Old July 6, 2011, 08:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you know that wjhen you install win7 it will stall up for up to 30 mins and if you stop it before it finishes and then try to install win xp without formating the HD ( Not using the windows format software on the same OS disk) you "will " get a BSOD. like I sugested earlier use a linux live disk and format the drive and the try to reinstall windows 7 and just let it do its thing it is totally normal for it to stall for long periods of time.
When I first tried to install win7 on my older laptop it stalled for 45 mins but I went through the same thing that you are going through, I would interrupt the install process thinking that it was failing because nothing seemed to be happening.
But then on my last attempt I had the laptop sitting beside me while I was on my pc and noticed that the HD light ( on my laptop) was litup ( not blinking) so I just let it be , 45 mins later I could here the disk start turning again and the install finished. I have know idea why this happens on some Laptops and PC but it does happen quite allot.
Old July 8, 2011, 11:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
you know that wjhen you install win7 it will stall up for up to 30 mins and if you stop it before it finishes and then try to install win xp without formating the HD ( Not using the windows format software on the same OS disk) you "will " get a BSOD. like I sugested earlier use a linux live disk and format the drive and the try to reinstall windows 7 and just let it do its thing it is totally normal for it to stall for long periods of time.
When I first tried to install win7 on my older laptop it stalled for 45 mins but I went through the same thing that you are going through, I would interrupt the install process thinking that it was failing because nothing seemed to be happening.
But then on my last attempt I had the laptop sitting beside me while I was on my pc and noticed that the HD light ( on my laptop) was litup ( not blinking) so I just let it be , 45 mins later I could here the disk start turning again and the install finished. I have know idea why this happens on some Laptops and PC but it does happen quite allot.
I know the installers for both Windows XP and Windows 7 allow you to format the drive before the install begins. All my installs were clean installs (that means the hard drive was formatted before the install begins.

You're wrong about installing Windows XP over 7. When you install Windows XP it will re-write the MBR and point it to the needed files for booting Windows XP. It will put the proper files from XP on the disc and it won't matter if there are left over files from the install of 7 because simular files will be overwritten and any other files will be ignored, even still, all my installs are clean. You would be foolish to do anything but a clean install.

I've installed Windows 7 on over 50 PC's this year and never had it hang at all. Anyway as far as taking 45 minutes, while I was installing Win7 I would be working on other PC's and many times I let it sit for over an hour and still nothing.
Old July 8, 2011, 11:30 PM
Banned
F@H

ive seen some builds take a loooooooooooooooooong time between the w7 install screens''cheaper pcs always installed the fastest...go figure :)