Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2011, 11:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Unhappy Crosshair V Issues

Hey guys,

So I got my Crosshair V almost 2 weeks ago, and didn't have a chance to test it until now.

The setup:

X4 955 BE
Crosshair V
4 x 4GB Mushkin Silverline 1333MHz DDR3
GTX 460 768MB

So everything is plugged in (triple checked) correctly. I turn it on for the first time, it fails to POST and I notice the DRAM LED is on. Okay, so I think it is probably a compatibility issue with the ram. I press the MemOk! button. Nothing happens. Clear CMOS, and try to boot again. Then the computer beeps (beep code is telling me no RAM is detected). Great!

After long hours of troubleshooting and testing ram slots, I am now utterly confused.

I tried a bunch of things out.

I fit in two 4GB sticks into both the black slots and then it POST, reads 4GB in the UEFI Bios, and then it proceeds to freeze.

I fit in two 4GB sticks into the A1 and A2 slots, it reads 8GB in the UEFI Bios and then proceeds to freeze up.

I fit in four 4GB sticks, it just doesn't POST at all.

Getting to the stage where I can actually enter the BIOS is a hit and miss, sometimes it hangs right on the ASMedia Controller screen, sometimes it just freezes on a black screen and etc.

Does this sound like an issue with the RAM or the Motherboard. Keep in mind this is the same RAM I am using for my current i5 system (and they work).
Old July 2, 2011, 12:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How many Beeps did you get?

Try 1 stick (4GB) at a time on different slots.

Quote:
BIOS Beep Codes
AMI Beep Codes

1 beep - DRAM refresh failure. There is a problem in the system memory or the motherboard.

2 beeps - Memory parity error. The parity circuit is not working properly.

3 beeps - Base 64K RAM failure. There is a problem with the first 64K of system memory.

4 beeps
- System timer not operational. There is problem with the timer(s) that control functions on the motherboard.

5 beeps - Processor failure. The system CPU has failed.

6 beeps - Gate A20/keyboard controller failure. The keyboard IC controller has failed, preventing gate A20 from switching the processor to protect mode.

7 beeps - Virtual mode exception error.

8 beeps - Video memory error. The BIOS cannot write to the frame buffer memory on the video card.

9 beeps - ROM checksum error. The BIOS ROM chip on the motherboard is likely faulty.

10 beeps - CMOS checksum error. Something on the motherboard is causing an error when trying to interact with the CMOS.

11 beeps - Bad cache memory. An error in the level 2 cache memory.

1 long beep, 2 short - Failure in the video system.

1 long beep, 3 short - A failure has been detected in memory above 64K.

1 long beep, 8 short - Display test failure.

Continuous beeping - A problem with the memory or video
Old July 2, 2011, 01:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've tried 1 stick at a time in different dimm slots too. Also, the beep code for my motherboard is a bit different I believe from the one quoted. Mine is 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps. This signifies no DRAM detection.