Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2011, 12:01 AM
Top Prospect

The 7-zip graph says higher is better :P

This chip looks good, performance per dollar wise, when it is Intel vs AMD, but AMD vs AMD doesnt look so good. I would probably go for a $90 PII 925 if I was on a budget. AMD screwed themselves by making AM3 too good of a value. Even when it comes to performance per watt, for 5 watts less there is the PII 925, or for 25 watts more there is the PII X6.

I dont see the point apart from HTPCs...
Old July 9, 2011, 06:31 PM
Allstar

So just a quick update with a 3850 on a gigabyte board I have unlocked multipliers that seem to work. its a fresh install on stock air right now. nice bump from the locked ones that were being claimed in the reviews.
Old July 9, 2011, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post

So just a quick update with a 3850 on a gigabyte board I have unlocked multipliers that seem to work. its a fresh install on stock air right now. nice bump from the locked ones that were being claimed in the reviews.
A8-3850 Has Ineffective BClk Multiplier | techPowerUp

TLDR: It's a BIOS glitch, your chip isn't actually running any faster.
Old July 9, 2011, 07:21 PM
Banned
F@H

load bios defaults. run a bench. oc.run said bench again. any actual increase? youve clocked. none? you havent :)
Old July 9, 2011, 09:19 PM
Allstar

Ah well that's what I get for being out of the country for a few days and coming back to this :S Bench marks confirmed above no increase in umph.... Well time to go grab a screen shot of 12Ghz!
Old July 10, 2011, 06:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Most probably AMD will conquer the OEM market and cheap/office system market, which probably is the most profitable. Except the server market, maybe.
Agreed, this could be a welcome change. It would be nice to have a decent IGP for a change and the CPU is plenty enough for most offices tasks.

Old July 23, 2011, 10:35 PM

My System Specs

I think I might have my very first DOA CPU in my entire life. On my A6-3650 I can't even run WinSAT. It hard locks on the GPU tests.
Old August 4, 2011, 03:23 AM
Trial Member

I get the impression u heart is in right place - but big brother is watching - damning w/ faint praise - amd dumps on intel re things that count, & intel wins by 20%~ on things that dont.

U get a 20%~ boost w/ 400 shaders etc.

u get a linear graphics boost w/ affordable faster memory

There seems evidence intel take shortcuts w/ graphics and quality suffers - forget the acronym for the test - but intel IGPs R weird.

more of amdS chipsets are integrated on die ideally - less hassle & more features (usb3 eg)

Intel wins w/ CPU, no surprise - amd made a strategic decision to allocate more die space to gpu

NB - 32nm shrink results in a 10%~ boost to k10 cores in llano - not great but OK

Not sure they care what western geeks want - the action is in bargain hunters in the emerging world.

A native 2 core llano even at current 32nm node puts them in killer laptop territory - sub 20W - a 28nm brazos - even more so, quite possible, as their discrete gpus are ready to to roll when tsmc gets its act together.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:10 PM
Trial Member

Thumbs up Outstanding!

I stubled upon your site via searching for a few AMD A8-3850 performace specs as I was shopping around for a possible new system in the future, and as I have been an ever growing fan of AMD especially over the past 6 years or so, I found this review to be excellent. You guys really did a great job with all this information and specs, truly well done. I am looking forward to owning one of these APU's in my next desktop.
Old August 5, 2011, 06:44 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Thanks for the compliments! Hope to see you around more.