Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default What amount should I spend on a MOBO?

I'm pricing a new build and I am wondering how much I should spend on a the MOBO. My build is somewhat of a budget build and I was wondering if someone could help explain the differences between these two examples MOBOs that I was looking at:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+: 199.99
Newegg.ca - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+: 129.99
Newegg.ca - ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

From what I can see the main differences are support for faster and more RAM as well as more USB ports. I am not an overclocker so would it be worth it to buy the more expensive one?
Old June 21, 2011, 09:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You're comparing boards with entirely different chipsets.

The 990FX is the top-of-the-line chipset from AMD and the 880G is pretty much the lowest-end chipset. That is why the cost difference is quite large.

If you're doing a budget build and don't need onboard graphics, get an AMD 870 chipset-based board. It'll be perfectly fine. If you do need the onboard graphics, I'd probably go with at least the 890GX chipset.
Old June 21, 2011, 09:38 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Chipset is different and Sabertooth has TUF components (better caps, chokes, fets), thermal radar (loads of sensors around the board), and a 5 year warranty. Those are the main differences.
Old June 21, 2011, 10:10 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Where would I notice a difference between the chipsets? I'm pretty unfamiliar with MOBOs as you can tell.
Old June 21, 2011, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeno View Post
Where would I notice a difference between the chipsets? I'm pretty unfamiliar with MOBOs as you can tell.
You need to decide if you just want a machine to be used or if you want a machine to be played with.

Are you ever going to overclock or go all out on the system? If not then buy a cheaper board.
If you are then go more expensive.
Old June 21, 2011, 10:51 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I believe 990fx has more pcie lanes, native SLI, native sata 6g and usb3.0. + bulldozer support. Better chipset all around really.
Old June 21, 2011, 11:02 AM
Banned
F@H

nope, go with the 880 and a current phenom II cpu :)

if you want dozer,then the new chipsets will be better off. i would wait at least past the first gen mobos
Old June 21, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Correct me if I am wrong but neither board is the lowest quality there is. If you are no overclocker, for sure most of what the Sabertooth can offer, you won't benefit from it. Granted that and the fact you are on a budget, I wouldn't even consider the Sabertooth if I were you.
Old June 21, 2011, 02:32 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks everyone, in general the MOBO will just be used for gaming. Like I said I'm no overclocker so I guess I'll go with one of the cheaper boards. I had selected an AM3+ board for upgrading possibilities down the road. The cheap board would still be ok in that situation?
Old June 21, 2011, 02:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Any of these would be fine: Newegg.ca - Computer Hardware, Motherboards, AMD Motherboards, AMD, AMD 870

As for "future upgrades" I wouldn't waste your money. It's better to just replace the entire platform when you want to upgrade typically speaking.