Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2011, 10:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow Top model Llano A8-3850 bench'ed & oc'ed

And it looks like the top-end A8 can be overclocked by ~70% (on the CPU side),... Top model Llano A8-3850 benchmarked and overclocked. Not bad for a little zinger. :)
Old June 20, 2011, 08:34 AM
Top Prospect

It's all relative on cost and performance, overclock or not. They're still Phenom II's for CPU functionality, don't expect the world (tho depending on the price you shouldn't be expecting the world anyway).
Old June 20, 2011, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So basically the Scorpius core is what everybody is waiting for. Not the combination of GPU and CPu like the Sabine platform.
Old June 20, 2011, 10:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Scorpius is the platform name for Bulldozer + 9xx chipset. As is Sabine.
Old June 20, 2011, 11:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for clearing that up Sky. Do chip manufacturers come up with these code names just to throw a wrench at the competition or just to confuse the consumers?
Old June 20, 2011, 11:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Honestly, the "code names" are never meant to be used with the public. They are an internal designation to separate certain products.

Basically, AMD realized that the whole "Dragon" branding fiasco didn't serve it well so never really used the "Leo" designation outside the media, nor will they (hopefully) be using Scorpius either.
Old June 20, 2011, 02:43 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Honestly, the "code names" are never meant to be used with the public. They are an internal designation to separate certain products.

Basically, AMD realized that the whole "Dragon" branding fiasco didn't serve it well so never really used the "Leo" designation outside the media, nor will they (hopefully) be using Scorpius either.
I WANT MOAR SCORPIUS!!!
Old June 20, 2011, 06:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Nice to get a good preview -- I've got friends who like gaming systems but who need me to sometimes build/recommend systems for their parents, so this is of definite interest. The breakdown comment from Sky is helpful, as much as it can be given the current tendency of manufacturers to make their naming schemes as opaque as possible.

On a side note, copy-editing might be advisable. There's a few missing/extraneous words scattered through the review which detract from the high quality of the material.
Old June 21, 2011, 04:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Let me be the first to say, that preview was "super".

I'm not really expecting much from AMD.. i'm of the assumption it will be the "fool me once.." type of scenario.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 25, 2011, 05:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I wouldn't be surprised to see this platform finding its way in quite a few office machines. As far as I am concerned this would be a welcome change. At the office, we have machines using Intel CPUs which is fine but with the dreaded Intel IGP and they simply suck even for the most basics of tasks. It's true that what we are using is not of the latest generation and I am sure things have improved on that front as well with the latest Intel IGP but having more alternatives is always good.

Last edited by Wurmer; July 2, 2011 at 05:54 AM.