Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Moisture in DVD drive?

Core i5 2500k, Asus P8Z68-V PRO

So I finally finished building my new PC the other day. I closed up the case, plugged everything in, and then washed & dried my hands afterwards. I then turned on the PC, inserted the Windows 7 DVD in the DVD drive, and installed Windows.

I was wondering, what if I didn't completely dry my hands after washing them, and some moisture got onto the DVD into the DVD drive? The PC installed Windows and appears to be reading OK from the DVD drive, but do you think I might have caused any damage to it?

I'm running MemTest86+ on it now to check it, and it runs IntelBurnTest successfully for 5-10 passes... Sorry for the strange question, but I am paranoid at causing damage to my PC.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old June 11, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The amount of moister o your hands wont hurt your dvd drive, since for one it is working, 2 by now it is going to be dry. Unless you are talking enough liquid to leak out of your dvd drive it isnt going to short out the rest of your system. So no you are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 11, 2011, 11:10 PM
Banned
F@H

unless it shorts out which will travel to your mobo and or psu killing everything else?

no worries.
Old June 11, 2011, 11:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think you need a bubble to live in. That or a clean room just for building computers.

Who knows, maybe a piece of dust is going to land on a pin on your motherboard, it's going to be a bit heavier than normal, and the room's humidity is going to be somewhere between 75 and 78%. I think the world might implode then.

(If your sarcasm detector hasn't gone nuts by now, then I'll let you know I was being sarcastic)
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 11, 2011, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Let's see.....your chances of damaging your processor by running IntelBurnTest are infinitely higher than the chance you'll destroy or damage your computer by shoving a wet dvd into your optical drive.
You might have built up a slight charge while installing your memory kit and a tiny electrostatic discharge conducted itself through the heatspreader of your memory, arced through the pin and caused minute damage to a memory chip that will slowly degrade over time, ever so slowly and fail one day and take your whole computer.
Your paranoia has much more pressing issues to deal with other than a small drop of water

Old June 12, 2011, 02:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i used to do the paste + water polish method on scratched discs and they would be quite damp after i patted them off with a towel but never ran into any issues, still the best drive i have
Old November 8, 2011, 02:09 AM
Rookie

It is a unique method described by you, and i think people should not try this. i think the best option we have for cleaning of CD and DVD is use a tissue on which a thin layer of absorbent is poured and it will be nice and clean surface for any CD.

electronic signatures

Last edited by martincrow; November 23, 2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old November 8, 2011, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

no worries for when disk SPIN DRIED your sloppy wet mitts