Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2011, 08:20 AM
Rookie

Default advise needed: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

how does everyone think about this mobo? recommended? share your experience if you have one I am looking to build a new rig with a i7 2600k and a z68 mobo. the price and features Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 provides seem unbelievably attractive. thank you in advance. want to get about 4.5ghz lowest and 5ghz highest if OC'ed.
Old June 8, 2011, 09:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The board only has a 4-pin CPU connector while the 2600K is a 95W processor.

If you are on a budget, I'm going to recommend theGA-Z68X-UD3-B3 which has slightly more features and an 8-pin power connector while retailing for only $10 more. But don't expect 5Ghz sustained due to its limited PWM.

Another option is the excellent UD3H which is would have no issue with anything you want to do with it.
Old June 8, 2011, 12:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The board only has a 4-pin CPU connector while the 2600K is a 95W processor.

this is one of the main reasons I want to have some reviews from those that are using the mobo right now.

Quote:
GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
I only find newegg has it and it cost about $40 more if including taxes and shipping. (GA-Z68X-UD3h-B3, direct canaada selling $122 with free shipping). secondly, GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 doesn't have any monitor connector, that is like reduce 50% advantage of z68 mobos.

Quote:
Another option is the excellent UD3H which is would have no issue with anything you want to do with it.
so UD3H is a very good mobo if not heavy OC'ed or heavy gaming? more input? I have tried to find some reviews online, there are no many out there, though the reviews seem decent. I just want to have more input before pulling the trigger.

:bananafunk y:
Old June 8, 2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydealseeker View Post
this is one of the main reasons I want to have some reviews from those that are using the mobo right now.
Since it is so new, you likely won't have all that many reviews.

Quote:
I only find newegg has it and it cost about $40 more if including taxes and shipping. (GA-Z68X-UD3h-B3, direct canaada selling $122 with free shipping). secondly, GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 doesn't have any monitor connector, that is like reduce 50% advantage of z68 mobos.
Does Virtu interest you that much? If not, how about looking at a P67 alternative? The ASUS P8P67 should fit your budget perfectly while giving you all the overclocking headroom and features.
Old June 8, 2011, 01:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Since it is so new, you likely won't have all that many reviews.
I am hoping that there are people here can share their experience with this motherboard. the reviews I have found are making me really tempting with it.

Quote:
Does Virtu interest you that much? If not, how about looking at a P67 alternative? The ASUS P8P67 should fit your budget perfectly while giving you all the overclocking headroom and features.
ssd caching and virtu are equally weighted right now for me, so :) ya.

p8p67 are horrible, except delux. I would rather consider P67A-GD55 or Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3. p8z68-v seems decent from the reviews I have read so far, but for over $80 more. I am satisfied to keep the cpu at 4.5-4.7 ghz stable if I can have the new features z68 providing with the condition that the motherboard has no/many big issues.
Old June 8, 2011, 02:21 PM

If you absolutely WANT Z68, then I'd recommend waiting to see which boards are able to support Synergy through a BIOS update.

In addition, 4.7, 4.6....it doesn't matter, I wouldn't touch that GB board with its cheap as chips 4-phase CPU PWM.
Old June 8, 2011, 02:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
If you absolutely WANT Z68, then I'd recommend waiting to see which boards are able to support Synergy through a BIOS update.

In addition, 4.7, 4.6....it doesn't matter, I wouldn't touch that GB board with its cheap as chips 4-phase CPU PWM.
okay, noted, I would take this into consideration. thank you.
Old June 8, 2011, 06:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I wouldn't touch that GB board with its cheap as chips 4-phase CPU PWM.
can you elaborate this a little bit? you mean that this is a low end mobo that would not make a good system stable? not enough power supply to support cpu if oc'ed? too hot if oc'ed? etc

I am wondering, would a good psu help if I am using a 4-pin CPU connector, such as an ax750/850
Old June 9, 2011, 06:38 AM

I mean that the PWM could limit overclocking. It is perfectly paired with the 4-pin CPU connector's limitations but I'd be hesitant to overclock a 95W chip with it.
Old June 10, 2011, 08:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I mean that the PWM could limit overclocking. It is perfectly paired with the 4-pin CPU connector's limitations but I'd be hesitant to overclock a 95W chip with it.
not going to oc it too crazy, highest i would try probably 4.8ghz. and from other reviews, this mobo is quite good if oc'ed under 5ghz. however, too few of them, I might wait for a while, to see if other z68 mobos drop a little bit or more reviews for this moboI do want to finish my build rather sooner than later. (my friend got one yesterday, waiting for his feedback )

none one here tried out the mobo?