Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2011, 05:33 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yes, it has Core Unlocker but that doesn't mean you will be able to unlock the cores and retain stability. Remember to increase voltage (if necessary) to equal the voltage needs of the quad core equivalent of your chip once the cores are unlocked.
Old June 29, 2011, 10:42 AM
Rookie

Thumbs up

thank you
Old October 13, 2011, 11:47 PM
Rookie

Default ASUS Sabertooth not that great

I like your style of reviews, comparing to some other reviews, your style is very good and very similar to techpowerup. One thing I noticed that he at techpowerup actually tests USB3.0 and sata 6.0 with a program and ASMile USB Chip used by ASUS sucks big time and is way worse than NEC's. In your review you bloat how ASMile USB chip is so good but you give no tests. Everything else seems to be nicely written.
I am also tired of ASUS sending out free boards to all these review sites and in return all these return sites write favoritable ASUS reviews. You could call it asskissing of sorts. All these ASUS reviews while I can't find one good review of ASRock 970, 990x review.
Also how can you say slot placement is good in ASUS mobo's, it sucks. Asus only puts one pci-express mini and it gets blocked by top graphic card, plus other slots get blocked. Compare that to ASRock or Gigabyte where ASRock gives you a double space under top VGA slot and Gigabyte gives you 2 mini pci express slots. Also Asus UEFI bios might look all fancy but in reality it sucks ass, you said it yourself there is nothing automatic but preset profiles for overclocking, plus their own Ai sotware doesn't work with BIOS. It's great that ASUS wanted be the first to push out UEFI but perhaps they should have fixed all the quirks.
I just RMAed my Crosshair II board that died 2 monhts after 3 year warranty ran out. I don't expect them to fix the problem since its out of warranty but they issued RMA so I send the board and waiting to see what happens. I spent all day today on Newegg looking at amd 900 chipset mobos and can't decide between ASRock, Asus and Gigabyte. UEFI bios does look and sound good on paper but I am not sure if its ready for the public yet. I hear ASUS already released few updates to BIOS. I gotta give them that they do release BIOS and Driver Upgrades, perhaps not too often but I dont have experience with any other boards, so there is nothing I can compare it to. ASUS does have BIOS update for my crosshair II mobo to put AM3 CPUs in it and have it run with DDR2 memory.
Perhaps I will wait for ASUS RMA Dept. response and then make my decision if I get ASRock or Gigabyte, or perhaps I give ASUS one more chance. Asus Sabertooth 990fx, just one look and you can tell that the heatsinks are more form over function. Actually in your review you do mention that the fins are way too large but you quickly excuse it by saying that it doesn't get hot. Once again Asus buttkissing.
Ok I am done venting and also ASUS quality is going down quickly, its more about marketing slogans, names and schemes and market shares. One plus for Sabertooth you did not mention is 5 year warranty and I would double check ASMile vs NEC chip controllers and remove it from Pluses since its hearsay as you didnt even test it.

EDIT. And why is that onboard sound doesnt do Dolby Digital, How we supposed to get surround sound in games when most games use Dolby Digital. Gigabyte onboard sound has Dolby DIgital Live yes ASUS doesn't and its not just sabertooth but Republic Of Gamers mobos especially the Crosshair line.
As much as I see Intel tests beat AMD tests, I am doing this little thing of boycotting Intel and not buying their crap.

Last edited by snowonweb; October 13, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old October 14, 2011, 12:28 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowonweb View Post
One thing I noticed that he at techpowerup actually tests USB3.0 and sata 6.0 with a program and ASMile USB Chip used by ASUS sucks big time and is way worse than NEC's. In your review you bloat how ASMile USB chip is so good but you give no tests. Everything else seems to be nicely written.
Although I didn't include the benchmarks, I did the tests. I wouldn't have made the comment otherwise.

I just made a comparison image for you, as you'll see in my experience the ASMedia was faster than the NEC.

Image: http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...h990FXUSB3.jpg

Quote:
Also how can you say slot placement is good in ASUS mobo's, it sucks. Asus only puts one pci-express mini and it gets blocked by top graphic card, plus other slots get blocked.
There are four PCI-E x16 slots, they can all handle a x1 card, so the blocking of the x1 slot is no big deal.

Quote:
Also Asus UEFI bios might look all fancy but in reality it sucks ass, you said it yourself there is nothing automatic but preset profiles for overclocking, plus their own Ai sotware doesn't work with BIOS. It's great that ASUS wanted be the first to push out UEFI but perhaps they should have fixed all the quirks.
I've used the UEFI bios for almost a year now, on multiple motherboards, and I have yet to experience any quicks.

Quote:
Asus Sabertooth 990fx, just one look and you can tell that the heatsinks are more form over function. Actually in your review you do mention that the fins are way too large but you quickly excuse it by saying that it doesn't get hot. Once again Asus buttkissing.
Most motherboards feature outlandish looking and needlessly large heatsinks, that doesn't make them bad or ineffective.

Quote:
One plus for Sabertooth you did not mention is 5 year warranty and I would double check ASMile vs NEC chip controllers and remove it from Pluses since its hearsay as you didnt even test it.
The warranty length is in the last paragraph of the conclusion, and as mentioned above, yes I did do USB 3.0 testing.

Quote:
EDIT. And why is that onboard sound doesnt do Dolby Digital, How we supposed to get surround sound in games when most games use Dolby Digital. Gigabyte onboard sound has Dolby DIgital Live yes ASUS doesn't and its not just sabertooth but Republic Of Gamers mobos especially the Crosshair line.
As far I can remember, and I haven't checked in a while, there are no 990FX motherboards that support Dolby Digital Live. Gigabyte's models only do Dolby Home Theater.
Old October 14, 2011, 12:31 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
I like your style of reviews, comparing to some other reviews, your style is very good and very similar to techpowerup. One thing I noticed that he at techpowerup actually tests USB3.0 and sata 6.0 with a program and ASMile USB Chip used by ASUS sucks big time and is way worse than NEC's. In your review you bloat how ASMile USB chip is so good but you give no tests. Everything else seems to be nicely written.
I am also tired of ASUS sending out free boards to all these review sites and in return all these return sites write favoritable ASUS reviews. You could call it asskissing of sorts. All these ASUS reviews while I can't find one good review of ASRock 970, 990x review.
Also how can you say slot placement is good in ASUS mobo's, it sucks. Asus only puts one pci-express mini and it gets blocked by top graphic card, plus other slots get blocked. Compare that to ASRock or Gigabyte where ASRock gives you a double space under top VGA slot and Gigabyte gives you 2 mini pci express slots. Also Asus UEFI bios might look all fancy but in reality it sucks ass, you said it yourself there is nothing automatic but preset profiles for overclocking, plus their own Ai sotware doesn't work with BIOS. It's great that ASUS wanted be the first to push out UEFI but perhaps they should have fixed all the quirks.
I just RMAed my Crosshair II board that died 2 monhts after 3 year warranty ran out. I don't expect them to fix the problem since its out of warranty but they issued RMA so I send the board and waiting to see what happens. I spent all day today on Newegg looking at amd 900 chipset mobos and can't decide between ASRock, Asus and Gigabyte. UEFI bios does look and sound good on paper but I am not sure if its ready for the public yet. I hear ASUS already released few updates to BIOS. I gotta give them that they do release BIOS and Driver Upgrades, perhaps not too often but I dont have experience with any other boards, so there is nothing I can compare it to. ASUS does have BIOS update for my crosshair II mobo to put AM3 CPUs in it and have it run with DDR2 memory.
Perhaps I will wait for ASUS RMA Dept. response and then make my decision if I get ASRock or Gigabyte, or perhaps I give ASUS one more chance. Asus Sabertooth 990fx, just one look and you can tell that the heatsinks are more form over function. Actually in your review you do mention that the fins are way too large but you quickly excuse it by saying that it doesn't get hot. Once again Asus buttkissing.
Ok I am done venting and also ASUS quality is going down quickly, its more about marketing slogans, names and schemes and market shares. One plus for Sabertooth you did not mention is 5 year warranty and I would double check ASMile vs NEC chip controllers and remove it from Pluses since its hearsay as you didnt even test it.

As much as I see Intel tests beat AMD tests, I am doing this little thing of boycotting Intel and not buying their crap.

Actually the ASM chips are pretty damn good. One review does make it "suck big time". Older drivers, bad implementation, OS issues. Any one of a million reasons why one review would show ASM to be poor. In either case unless you have an external SSD (think 200MB/s plus) its a moot point. Fast is fast. Personally I prefer the newer FreeScale Logic and etron options but ASM is putting out very decent kit.

As for "can't find one good review of ASRock 970, 990x review"...if it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck its probably a duck. Maybe the reason you can not find any "good" reviews is because there are none that can show it to be good? IDK. Just a thought...ymmv.

If you dont like reviewers getting to keep the kit they are reviewing....tough. We put in anywhere from 40 to 200 hours per review. The kit is secondary, the love of tech is first. BUT its a small bit of compensation that goes a long way to justifying the time & expense to loved ones.

All in all you may want to tone it done a bit, take a deep breathe and try not to do wall of texts. Not many will read it all. I did as I was bored. OR include a TL;DR version.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 14, 2011, 05:35 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Actually, I think TPU made the biggest mistake a review site can make: they didn't update the drivers prior to testing.
Old October 14, 2011, 08:35 PM
Rookie

Nice replies guys. I did look at the tests you did and they do look like ASmedia (lol asmile) is quicker, TPU site said it wasn't but your reviews style are very similar and i like both styles but how can i take it seriously when one says one thing and the other one say another thing, but now that its cleared up, it's all good.

As far as ASRock review, it is not that I can't find a good review. I can't find any reivews on 970 and 990x. The only review I found is for the fatil1ty and it was a shoot out of 990fx chips and asrock did pretty good, almost as good as asus. Gigabyte 990fx did the poorest and MSI was 3rd I think. It might have been on TPU site.

I also state that slot positioning on asus mobos sucks as comparing to gigabyte and asrock. The mini pci-e or 1x are always under top 16x pci-e and always gets blocked by the card and its a problem as my hauppage 1850 tv tuner card is mini pci-e. Well now with 990fx I guess you can skip the top slot and put ur video cards in below slot at 16x but then if u go down to 3rd slot , its only 8x.
Let me rephrase then. How do I get two cards in SLI both 16x and still have access to mini pci-e (i think proper name is pci-e 1x). Answer. You simply can not do it.
Benchmarks and reviews show that graphic card 16x and 8x doesnt make much difference. but still an issue. If you look at ASRock and Gigabyte slot placements, you can actually use top pci-e 16x, and mini pci-e, and thats on 990fx chips. The only ASUS mobo I found with 900's is asus 970.
So I give you ASmedia, I was wrong or TPU is innacurate rather.
I am still questioning Heatsink FINS as i read many reivews on newegg that say sabretooth running hot. But case cooling is important fact.
But I hate ASUS slot locations and lack of 2nd pci-e 1x (mini pci-e) and if you do SLI then pci-e 8x gets blocked.
So in conclusion I cant do SLI with sound card and tv tuner card on most SLI ready ASUS motherboards but I can in competition motherboards.
I also understand that ASUS is most selling mobo and few 1 egg reviews do not do it justice as there are thousands of 5 egg reviews, especially when comparing to competition but I also understand that if something works good you not going to be eager to write a review, but if something is not working then you will plaster your angry review everywhere. Seems ASUS is the only mobo where people take their times to write good reviews and I mostly refer to newegg reviews so it's difficult to make a decison based just on egg reviews, that's why sites as this one are important.
Old October 14, 2011, 09:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Nice replies guys. I did look at the tests you did and they do look like ASmedia (lol asmile) is quicker, TPU site said it wasn't but your reviews style are very similar and i like both styles but how can i take it seriously when one says one thing and the other one say another thing, but now that its cleared up, it's all good.

As far as ASRock review, it is not that I can't find a good review. I can't find any reivews on 970 and 990x. The only review I found is for the fatil1ty and it was a shoot out of 990fx chips and asrock did pretty good, almost as good as asus. Gigabyte 990fx did the poorest and MSI was 3rd I think. It might have been on TPU site.

I also state that slot positioning on asus mobos sucks as comparing to gigabyte and asrock. The mini pci-e or 1x are always under top 16x pci-e and always gets blocked by the card and its a problem as my hauppage 1850 tv tuner card is mini pci-e. Well now with 990fx I guess you can skip the top slot and put ur video cards in below slot at 16x but then if u go down to 3rd slot , its only 8x.
Let me rephrase then. How do I get two cards in SLI both 16x and still have access to mini pci-e (i think proper name is pci-e 1x). Answer. You simply can not do it.
Benchmarks and reviews show that graphic card 16x and 8x doesnt make much difference. but still an issue. If you look at ASRock and Gigabyte slot placements, you can actually use top pci-e 16x, and mini pci-e, and thats on 990fx chips. The only ASUS mobo I found with 900's is asus 970.
So I give you ASmedia, I was wrong or TPU is innacurate rather.
I am still questioning Heatsink FINS as i read many reivews on newegg that say sabretooth running hot. But case cooling is important fact.
But I hate ASUS slot locations and lack of 2nd pci-e 1x (mini pci-e) and if you do SLI then pci-e 8x gets blocked.
So in conclusion I cant do SLI with sound card and tv tuner card on most SLI ready ASUS motherboards but I can in competition motherboards.
I also understand that ASUS is most selling mobo and few 1 egg reviews do not do it justice as there are thousands of 5 egg reviews, especially when comparing to competition but I also understand that if something works good you not going to be eager to write a review, but if something is not working then you will plaster your angry review everywhere. Seems ASUS is the only mobo where people take their times to write good reviews and I mostly refer to newegg reviews so it's difficult to make a decison based just on egg reviews, that's why sites as this one are important.

Egg Reviews , tiger direct reviews, NCIX reviews....are all usless in the grand scheme of things.
There are lots of reviews that people take time on that are beyond ASUS (look at our reviews here, EVGA, Sapphire, MSI, GB) and many sites do too.

I would stop reading Egg reviews and using them as a golden standard for anything.

Reading about the cooling on the board is a mixed bag as well that should be taken loosely unless everyone is reporting the exact same thing (Old NForce boards running Hot Northbridges for Example).

ASRock for reviews are not common yet (Hey they were Under ASERTEK too for the longest time), because namely they didn't have historical reliability (They were the budget of ASUS). THat and they might not send out a lot of review samples. I myself have tried out a few over the years and been plesently suprised by them. Nowadays they actually build good enough boards on there own to threaten the top tier Manufacturers.

In time hopefully we will see more, if ASROCK however decides to give out boards to be reviewed (Most reviewers I know of WILL not go out and buy there own gear to test, that gets too damn expensive fast).

For the Sabertooth itself, there are tradeoffs that every manufacturer must make, and trading off slot position is something that is done because of the market its catered too. Most people who build rigs based on Enthusiast grade gear could care less about a TV tuner card. They would probably just load Boxee on it and be done. So thats one less card to worry about. ANd It will still give them SLI and a sound card beyond that. Just because the board doesn't do Every exact thing you want doesn't make it bad. It will work for a Lot of people out there in which it gives them the functions they want.

For you, just get a different board that has the configuration you want.
Simple as that.

You do get with Sabertooth an unprecedented level of Thermal monitoring that does not exist on other boards which is a an exceptional change of pace too. Something to consider.

Not knocking your post in any way, just trying to give perspective.

Hopefully (I'm exhausted) this made sense to you.

Good luck,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 15, 2011, 02:15 AM
Rookie

Your reply does make sense to me and as egg reviews used to be informative, now they are just full of people exaturating their knowledge as high and then writing some garbage. I do follow hardware scene and have noticed ASRock climbing in quality and I am considering it for my next build. I actually got ASRock last week for client of mine but HD keeps dropping plus BSOD's (different ones). I am suspecting PSU to be at fault, once I put new PSU i will have little personal experience with ASRock. I am also not big into overclocking unless its done automatically in bios. Personally I still like ASUS and have looked at Asus board that meets my slot criteria and Sabertooth does not, nor does crosshair V, perhaps that is why I am little upset with ASUS.
Old October 15, 2011, 02:54 AM
Banned

MANY moons ago ..... ECS, Foxconn & Biostar where also seen as crap board manufactorers ..... meanwhile they have always came out with lil gem's here & there (ex. Biostar TA690). If i remember correctly ECS/AsRock where the same manufactorer for that brand. Foxconn if i remember built alot of Intel's own branded boards & many folks found out thanks to one of the major review sites why when they put a review piting the two vs each other.

I've had bad experiences with Asus boards(software,hardware & support/rma) & ergo for every positive person towards there motherboard business there is a negative, and this has been goin on quite a few years. Which is why I give the advise to those looking ... Asus is NOT always the best as you may want to keep believing ... but search out what you think is best preforming & suits your desired needs/looks/taste's.

I've had over the years, Asus(socket 754 boards where terrible), Tomato (REALY low end), PCCHIPS (almost as low as tomato brand), Biostar (TA690 was a amazing board), ECS (great KT266a board), MSI (nforce chipset bleck), Sapphire (no issue's but killed it tryin to upgrade the nb with a wrong cooler LOL), AsRock (the Ali chipset that made nvidia buy Ali & i would have kept the board cept for the bad i/o controler on it) & gigabyte for board makers. And i will say this in all of it .... not always is the top $'ed motherboards the best, especialy if your just looking to run something stock then ALOT of the cheaper/lower end boards are more acceptable of a choice.