Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2008, 10:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default New CPU or WC?

I've been looking at reviews lately on the E8400 and it doesn't seem to be much of a performance increase from my CPU to it, but it does have great overclocking abilities. Should I spend my $290 on the E8400 or should I go for watercooling? I already have my CPU cooled, but im going to add a triple rad and cool my GPU and NB as well.
Old January 31, 2008, 11:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

WC WC WC WC!! Of course!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old January 31, 2008, 11:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'd WC personally. Build it with the right components and hopefully you should be able to use the same setup through a couple upgrades. There doesn't seem to be much of a jump from what you have now to the e8400 unless you'd just like to see higher #'s. Maybe hold off on the CPU until the quads are out.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 1, 2008, 07:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with both of them, go with WC you should be able to bring your cpu higher then what you are running at now. Then later on you can save some money and buy the E8400 or when the new quads come out buy one of those.

thats my two cents.
Old February 1, 2008, 07:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default WC

Ive been pondering over the same question. BUT you should go watercooling-the extra OC you will get will take the E6750 very close to an oc'd E8400.

Then you can get a quad later on or something instead.

You'll have a lot of fun building the WC system too!

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old February 1, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
I've been looking at reviews lately on the E8400 and it doesn't seem to be much of a performance increase from my CPU to it, but it does have great overclocking abilities. Should I spend my $290 on the E8400 or should I go for watercooling? I already have my CPU cooled, but im going to add a triple rad and cool my GPU and NB as well.
I'd say go for the GFX and NB, but then again MISO converted me to the Darkside. (AKA Water).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 1, 2008, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
I'd WC personally. Build it with the right components and hopefully you should be able to use the same setup through a couple upgrades. There doesn't seem to be much of a jump from what you have now to the e8400 unless you'd just like to see higher #'s. Maybe hold off on the CPU until the quads are out.
Which parts should I use then that you think would be compatible with future upgrades? I currently am going for the Swiftech Stealth for the GPU and the MCW30 for NB.
Old February 1, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

To tell you the truth I can't say for sure and I don't know what's coming and I don't know what your fabricating skills are. However if you pick basic shape blocks chances are good that you can use them for a long time to come.

In my system I chose a Fuzion CPU block. Its a basic square and uses a plate that goes over the block and has holes in it to line up with the HSF mounting holes. The block is ~2" square. Now unless cpu's and there sockets deviate greatly from a 2" square or stop using mounting holes for HSFs, I have serious doubts that I won't either be able to just buy a new plate or make one myself for my next upgrade. I got a maze5 for the GPU and I think all the same reasoning holds true. AFAIK full coverage blocks are one time use only and you toss them when you upgrade to a new card.

I'm not an expert on the adaptability of any of these blocks as these are the first commercial blocks I've owned so do your research. Again a lot has to do with if you HAVE to buy a solution or if you can make your own parts. I'm not saying that full coverage blocks are bad but I like to be able to disassemble things and make them different for a new situation easily, perhaps a legacy of my lego/mechano days.

Cheers,
Ryan
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 1, 2008, 09:36 PM
Allstar

Water cool; you won't see too much of an improvement going with the E8400 (Unless you want to hit SuperPI WR's with LN2). Also, look at water cooling as an investment, the cost of components doesn't drop too much, whereas CPU's drop significantly over a short period of time.
Old February 2, 2008, 01:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankerfx View Post
Water cool; you won't see too much of an improvement going with the E8400 (Unless you want to hit SuperPI WR's with LN2). Also, look at water cooling as an investment, the cost of components doesn't drop too much, whereas CPU's drop significantly over a short period of time.
Now that is THE perfect line to tell my wife....I want one toooo!!!