Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2011, 12:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Shut Down (Or Lack Thereof) Problem - ASUS Rampage Extreme

A friend of mine was cleaning out his closet and knew I wanted to upgrade my wife's POS P4 Dell that she bought from her company when they refreshed their workstations. He dug out an ASUS Rampage Extreme (LGA 775) and I believe a QX9770. Yeah, I know. Who digs these out as spares, even if they are from the previous generation?

Anyway, for the most part it's running well with 4GB of Kingston Blu memory but when it comes time to shut down, it doesn't. The monitor shuts off and the drives spin down but the fans keep spinning and the little ASUS ROG logo on the motherboard stays lit.

A quick check of any BIOS updates does not show this as being fixed and I cannot find anywhere in the manual where it may be dropping into some sort of hybrid sleep mode.

To bring it back up, just hit the reset button and up it comes.

This wouldn't be too big of a deal if my friend didn't also dig out a GTX 285 with a Zalman cooler, that spins at 100% all the time without the fan controller. The thing is extremely loud, plus it wastes energy.

Any thoughts?

***EDIT: Man, I'm not doing well with placing my threads at all. Sorry mods. Move away!

Last edited by Optix; May 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Clear CMOS and check the BIOS battery just in case leaving it out that long somehow killed it. In particular, poke at the ACPI settings in the "Power" menu of the BIOS. Try ACPI 2.0 enable, ACPI APIC enable.
That symptom actually sounds a lot like S1 sleep mode...
As for your GPU, doesn't that motherboard have a ton of fan headers? If the cooler has the 3-pin connector, use a "case fan" header or something as the fan controller.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:17 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Before changing BIOS settings, replace the battery with a fresh one.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i think he meant that the gpu runs at full when its "shutting down" and never reaches that state

but yes i'd check the bios for the sleep states / power saving modes there. i have mine all turned off
so thats its only the OS dealing with those
Old May 18, 2011, 04:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Sounds like its going into hybernation...check your start menu settings to set the default action of clicking the power down button to "shut down " and not hibernate
Old May 18, 2011, 04:13 AM
Banned
F@H

What is hiberfil.sys and how to delete in Windows 7 free up hard drive space | Windows7hacker

that or its not getting the shut down command properly. ive seen it on a few builds,try ubuntu or something for kicks
and see if it shuts down properly
Old May 18, 2011, 06:24 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks folks. I'll give it a shot and let you know.

I am going to update the BIOS though so I can turn that foolish ROG light off!
Old May 18, 2011, 10:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

but it secondary purpose is as a night lite ;)
Old May 18, 2011, 11:18 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Or a very slow strobe.

ROG DANCE PARTY!
Old May 30, 2011, 10:55 AM
Rookie

trying with difference RAM if it's resolved problem you need carried warranty