Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2011, 11:21 AM
Rookie

Default gigabyte ga-p67a-ud5-b3 phase light LEDs

Hi there,

I just recently purchased the mobo that is in the title of this post and it has 4 LEDs that light up upon start up then they shut down. I read through the mobo manual but it doesnt actually explain what these phase lights do. Does anyone know what they mean? I can't find a good answer through Google or this website's search bar
Old May 14, 2011, 07:22 PM
Banned
F@H

basically it tells you how many are working

if you in stall the giga software, you can turn them on or off
and also use the energy saving,quite nice feature.
Old June 8, 2011, 02:10 PM
Rookie

The theory is that they indicate the number of "power phases" currently in use, that depends on the CPU load, which effectively reflects the power required to operate your CPU at the current load level. That is, the current that needs to be delivered to th CPU. The more current, the more phases are used. Physically, the "phases" correspond to the MOSFET modules in the VRM area of the motherboard. You can see the inductor coils packed in grey boxes. IIRC, in the P67A-UD5 every MOSFET (and thus phase) corresponds to 2 coils.

Hope that helps. You can find similar LEDs on the high-end MSI video cards. Fun to see them go up and down, really :) And they give you a nice light effect, too. :D