Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Intel Z68 Review - The Sandy Bridge Platform Expands; Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/43211-intel-z68-review-sandy-bridge-platform-expands-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL May 10, 2011 09:41 PM

Intel Z68 Review - The Sandy Bridge Platform Expands; Comment Thread

With Intel's Z68 platform finally here, there is a long list of new features like Intel's Smart Response Technology and Lucid's Virtu that need to be put under the microscope. In this article we do just that in order to gauge whether the this new chipset is really worth more to the end user than P67.... [ Read full article ]

lowfat May 11, 2011 12:29 AM

I had no idea the Intel 310 was SLC. A 20GB SLC SSD for $110 is a pretty damn good deal.

dma0991 May 11, 2011 03:19 AM

How would a SSD alone as the primary drive compare with HDD + SSD Cache @ Maximum?

Supergrover May 11, 2011 04:49 AM

RST caching and Virtu both look promising though from the looks of things Virtu isnt quite there yet, how would you even implement Virtu with a triple display setup?

SKYMTL May 11, 2011 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supergrover (Post 514054)
RST caching and Virtu both look promising though from the looks of things Virtu isnt quite there yet, how would you even implement Virtu with a triple display setup?

I haven't tried on multi monitor setups but I will when I get the system set up again. IMO, it can be done in dGPU mode since that virtualizes the IGP drivers while using the main discrete card's drivers. Unfortunately, you won't get any benefits other than being able to use the onboard graphics for transcoding.

Nuttin_Much May 11, 2011 06:14 AM

It think using a small SSD for caching might be good for system builders to boost perfomance without increasing the prices too much. For enthusiasts though, it would probably make more sense to simply buy a larger SSD and install your OS and your favourite software/games. Could you dedicate a portion of an SSD for caching and use the rest for OS and programs?

SKYMTL May 11, 2011 06:36 AM

Nope. Intel requires two separate physical drives rather than a partition of a single drive. In addition, buying a large enough SSD for your games and other files IN ADDITION to the 20GB or more of cache space and over provisioning will cost an absolute fortune.

Plus, you'll never have to worry about things like stutter and premature wear in this case since according to Intel, information is only written / read from the SSD when an application is first clicked.

zoob May 11, 2011 06:49 AM

Waiting for some Z68 miniITX boards now... :whistle:

_dangtx_ May 11, 2011 06:49 AM

wait,hold on a sec,does the 20 giger come with the board or....

*got lost :p

Supergrover May 11, 2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 514072)
wait,hold on a sec,does the 20 giger come with the board or....

*got lost :p

No I dont believe so Dan.