Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2008, 09:45 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default P35 Help

I need a high quality P35 board for an upcoming system build. Durability is an issue, because this build will have to last me at least 4 years without a complete overhaul. I am looking at the Gigabyte p35-DS3R, but that is difficult since my local store doesn't carry it. I've also looked at the Asus P5K, but know almost nothing about it. Here's what I need:

-durability
-OC- probably taking an e8500 to 3.8, or possibly a q9450 up to 3.2 (either way, bringing the fsb to 400 to match my ddr2 800 memory)
-native RAID-0 support
-in the $100-$175 range

any advice is welcome. thanks guys
Old January 28, 2008, 10:06 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Pretty much any P35 can achieve those ocs.

I have a P5K and it's fine and the abit board is decent too. P5K-E is better if you can find one, has voltage damper. Im not a fan of giga but that is just personal pref..
Old January 28, 2008, 10:14 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I'll say the opposite from Eldonko's... I'm no fan of Asus - had too many RMAs with them. Been using 3 Giga boards, 2 of them P35s. Not a single hiccup since day 1. Same with my customers boards: all Gigas, except a few 680is that I don't recommend anymore.

But I do agree on one fact from Eldonko: most (if not all) P35 boards can reach 400FSB.
Old January 28, 2008, 10:24 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I had alot of issues with giga p965 boards, crappy bios and no support. From that I wont buy another, just comes down to user experience I guess. I had 2 P5K boards die but with the abuse I put em through (sub zero, volt mods, etc) it doesnt surprise me. But a regular user shouldnt have too much trouble.

I prefer the ASUS boards over the giga for the bios mainly.
Old January 28, 2008, 10:31 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I had alot of issues with giga p965 boards, crappy bios and no support. From that I wont buy another, just comes down to user experience I guess. I had 2 P5K boards die but with the abuse I put em through (sub zero, volt mods, etc) it doesnt surprise me. But a regular user shouldnt have too much trouble.

I prefer the ASUS boards over the giga for the bios mainly.
My 3rd board is a Giga P965, and I'm not talking about it too... though it gives me the highest FSB (I've hit 525), it is the most unstable board of all 3. Stick with the P35s, and you'll be very happy.

As a sidenote, why not go for the P35C-DS3R (or the Asus equivalent: P5KC) with the DDR2/DDR3 support? You'll be good for many years to come.
Old January 28, 2008, 10:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
As a sidenote, why not go for the P35C-DS3R (or the Asus equivalent: P5KC) with the DDR2/DDR3 support? You'll be good for many years to come.
That's what I am using (see my sig), and although I am nowhere near the experts these guys are, I did do a lot of reading and research. All of it led me to the Gigabyte P35s, mostly for durability's sake. Nothing wrong with the Asus P35s, just that the Gigabyte boards seem better built, materials-wise. Also, the onboard sound of the P35C was superior to the P5KC I was looking at (if I remember correctly).
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-800
XFX GeForece 8800GTS 512 (G92)
WD SE16 500GB SATAII / WD 250GB SATAII
LG SATA DVD-RW
Corsair HX520 Modular PSU
Antec P182 w/all fans replaced w/Noctua NF-P12-1300s
BenQ T221W 22" LCD @ 1680x1050
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Old January 28, 2008, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

Never been a fan of Gigabyte boards their color scheme is just god awful.

Asus boards you simply can't go wrong with as they are great boards with a great warranty.

Abit boards are becoming mainstream again thank god as they used to have good boards back in the day so its nice to see some competition from them.

XFX and Evga are just reference from Asus usually and because of that you have to really becareful.

I love my Abit board but they don't support the e8x000 properly YET.
Old January 28, 2008, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Personally

Ive had no problems with the Asus P5KE I bought at all. Very solid quality ocing board. But I dont know what other people have experienced. Still I know it oc's the new chips very well.

Lots of people here love the P35 gigabytes too!!!

The ABit board in enaberif's signature is supposed to be one of the finest P35 boards out there right now judging by the reviews!

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old January 28, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
Ive had no problems with the Asus P5KE I bought at all. Very solid quality ocing board. But I dont know what other people have experienced. Still I know it oc's the new chips very well.

Lots of people here love the P35 gigabytes too!!!

The ABit board in enaberif's signature is supposed to be one of the finest P35 boards out there right now judging by the reviews!
The IP35-Pro is a wonderful board with lots of options and the uGuru system is great. But like I said unfortunately it doesn't properly support the e8x000 processors yet so they work but temps and volts maybe out to lunch.
Old January 28, 2008, 11:59 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was just looking at the P5K's stats, and it claims 2 PCIeX16 slots. I thought you had to go to X38 boards for that- what's the deal?