Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2011, 10:15 PM
Rookie

Default Mobo upgrade, some questions!

Hello everyone, first time poster. Not long ago i built my first budget gaming rig.
Recently ive been thinking it would be a good idea to upgrade my motherboard, somthing with sata 6Gb/s and usb 3.0.
What do i need to do in order for the new mobo to work with my existing system? My first guess is that ill need to reformat my HD. My OS is the OEM version windows7 64 bit, am i able to reformat with this or is it a one time use only type of thing? Current mobo is an Asrock M3A770DE. Thinking of going to an MSI 890FXA-GD65 or an Asus M4N98TD EVO, any other good recommendations for around $150.00 USD?

Thanks for any help
Old May 4, 2011, 02:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Could you list down the full specs first if you don't mind. I would like to see if it is worth the motherboards swap considering AM3+ boards with 900 series chipsets should be announced next month.
Old May 4, 2011, 03:25 AM
Rookie

Sure,

previoulsy mentioned M3A770DE
phenomII 840, hyper 212+
HIS 6850
8gigs of DDR3
caviar black 1tb
silent pro 600w
Old May 4, 2011, 04:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Your rig specs look fine and I don't see the need to change your motherboard now. Like I said the newer motherboards that will support Bulldozer will be coming out and they will use Socket AM3+ and revised 800 series chipset BIOS or the newer 900 series chipset. If you swap now you're just changing to a Socket AM3 board and I can't guarantee backwards compatibility for the upcoming Bulldozer.

The Bulldozer and the everything that comes with it should be announced in a months time. Wait for ~2 months and you can get yourself a AM3+ board with 900 series chipset which is able to support your current CPU and Bulldozer.
Old May 4, 2011, 02:23 PM
Rookie

thanks for the heads up I was considering upgrading for 6Gb/s and usb 3.0.
But when i do eventually go to a new board, will i need to reformat? Im still a little hazy on how id go through that process. What about drivers?

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2011, 03:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I see no reason to upgrade for USB3.0 and SATA6 at this point in time. Wait until AMD releases it's new motherboards/chipsets/socket and then go that route.

If you need USB3.0, you can get an add-in card for like $20 that plugs into any PCIe slot.

There is no need for SATA6 unless you plan to buy the latest SSD (like the Vertex 3 or something).
Old May 4, 2011, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpakaknox View Post
thanks for the heads up I was considering upgrading for 6Gb/s and usb 3.0.
But when i do eventually go to a new board, will i need to reformat? Im still a little hazy on how id go through that process. What about drivers?

Thanks!
Sometimes you dont have to format, depend what chipset you are moving to. Yes you will need new drivers if your upgrading, I always DL the new drivers and stick them on a data drive. Then reinstall windows, reboot, install drivers.

Your OEM windows key will be tied to the motherboard that you are using though, couple easy fixes for that, either buy another copy if you want to keep using the OEM with your board now or you can call MS and request they transfer the key to your new board saying that you had to upgrade the board since it died. That has worked for me in the past NP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 7, 2011, 09:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Sometimes you dont have to format, depend what chipset you are moving to. Yes you will need new drivers if your upgrading, I always DL the new drivers and stick them on a data drive. Then reinstall windows, reboot, install drivers.

Your OEM windows key will be tied to the motherboard that you are using though, couple easy fixes for that, either buy another copy if you want to keep using the OEM with your board now or you can call MS and request they transfer the key to your new board saying that you had to upgrade the board since it died. That has worked for me in the past NP.
It's worth the try but that didn't work for me. Of late MS has been annoying like hell with licensing, even with box version. Recently I had to replace a defective motherboard and I was asked to reactivate my copy of windows through their telephone service. BTW, the MB was the exact same model. Oh well, as we all agree that MS is a poor company nearing bankruptcy, I guess it justifies the fact that they are so annoying with protecting their software...

Last edited by Wurmer; May 9, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old June 11, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Asus M4N98TD EVO is build on nForce 980 SLI does not have sata 6 or USB 3.0 and TRIM will not work for SSDs. So i guess the option is the other one with the 890FX chipset. or you can keep what you have and add USB 3.0 and Sata 6 add on cards.