Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 17, 2011, 04:48 PM
Sleal's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 54

My System Specs

Default Help me upgrade

With less than stellar performance in Metro 2033 and Battlefield 3 looming, I need some change.

Right now I have:
i5 760
ASUS P7P55DE LX (no crossfire/sli)
XFX 6870

I have a couple options...tell me which one makes more sense. Oh, and keep in mind that I want to spend ~$400 all said and done.

1. Sell my MB for peanuts and buy a 2xPCI-E 16 board and buy another 6870 for ~200 for some crossfire action.

2. Sell the 6870 and buy a 570 or 6970 (not sure if I can find an unlockable 6950 anymore)

3. Sell the MB and CPU for ~$225. Buy an i5 2500k and P67 MB for ~$400 and look for another 6870 in the near future.

Now...I don't need any more processing power as mine is more than enough for what I use it for. Iit'd be nice to have a Sandybridge setup mainly for the Xfire compatibility but in all honesty, I don't really need it. Also, does x8/x8 suffer a whole lot as compared to x16/x16?

Thanks for the input
__________________
Intel i5 760 | EVGA P55 SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws PC2-16000 2X2GB | XFX HD R7970 Black Edition
Corsair HX1000 | Intel X25-V SSD | Corsair 600D | Custom Watercooled | W7 64
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 17, 2011, 05:45 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

maybe one 6950?

for mobo and cpu,yup right now 2500k and mobo combo,ncix has weekly deals. but bd is closing in...:)

how about clocking both your cpu and gpu for now?

MSI Radeon HD 6970 Lightning 2 GB Review - Page 16/27 | techPowerUp

MSI Radeon HD 6970 Lightning 2 GB Review - Page 23/27 | techPowerUp
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 17, 2011, 05:56 PM
Sleal's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 54

My System Specs

Default

I have my 760 at 3.0 under the H70 and my 8970 is pumped up a tad...at 940/1080

Is a 6950 really going to be enough? Wouldn't I be better off going to a Xfire friendly setup and ditching the 6870 for a couple 6950's closer to the BF3 release date?
__________________
Intel i5 760 | EVGA P55 SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws PC2-16000 2X2GB | XFX HD R7970 Black Edition
Corsair HX1000 | Intel X25-V SSD | Corsair 600D | Custom Watercooled | W7 64
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 17, 2011, 06:14 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

hmm..then wait or pick up a crazy deal on one 6950 and unlock it.

xfire is good, but at higher resolutions one stronger card could be a better idea.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 17, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,611

My System Specs

Default

1. I wouldn't buy another 1156 MOB (unless you get a great deal).

2. Cards you listed are faster than a 6870, but its not going to be night and day. The only way you will see good gains is crossfire/SLI or go to a 6990/ 590. That said you could still do it...but I wouldn't.

3. 1155 does generally give you better gaming performance. x8/x8 is not a major problem for almost all graphics cards.


If I was you I would either find a good deal (hopefully used) on an 1156 MOB and grab another 6870 or upgrade to 1155 and do the same.
__________________
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, i5 3570K with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 1600mhz, MSI Cyclone GTX 460, Seasonic S12II 500W, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 17, 2011, 10:55 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,797

My System Specs

Default

Upgrade your Mobo and Cpu / RAM....then GPU...honestly Metro 33 isn't meant to run well at all on a "budget" Rig...unless you turn down all the features!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 17, 2011, 11:49 PM
neojjjk's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ind/Can
Posts: 203

My System Specs

Default

you have a very good setup .In my opinion don't upgrade now.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 18, 2011, 12:21 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

forgot this linkie here

PowerColor HD6950 1 GB: Alternative Arithmetic or




take a look at that chart there,but dont forget the system they used :

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition processor (3.33 GHz, 6.4 GT/s QPI);
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 18, 2011, 12:46 AM
Sleal's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 54

My System Specs

Default

I think what I'll do is look for a good price on an unlockable 6950 or a 6970 and upgrade now. In due time I'll swap out the mobo for the ability to add a second card.

What kind of problems would I have switching just the mobo? Is my boot going to wig out?
__________________
Intel i5 760 | EVGA P55 SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws PC2-16000 2X2GB | XFX HD R7970 Black Edition
Corsair HX1000 | Intel X25-V SSD | Corsair 600D | Custom Watercooled | W7 64
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 18, 2011, 12:51 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

ok.

possibly...worst move though :)

wait for bd. itll at least bring prices down a notch, hopefully where it counts.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to upgrade with best value! JDye New Builds 7 October 17, 2010 06:25 AM
VGA upgrade from GTX 260 first, or CPU+mobo upgrade first? panzerfan Video Cards 9 April 6, 2010 08:25 PM
Best way to go to upgrade. Bubbzilla Video Cards 17 August 11, 2009 05:14 PM
New PC upgrade Cobra New Builds 11 August 6, 2008 09:02 AM
need serious upgrade help muffler CPU's and Motherboards 4 March 30, 2008 08:57 AM