Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2008, 07:37 PM
Rookie

Default Amd 6400+ Be

I'm buying a 6400+ be tomorrow and was looking for suggestions on what sort of cooling i should get? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old January 29, 2008, 07:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

What'd you get? I have the same proc and I bought an OCZ vanquisher. Really inexpensive at 25$, quiet and does the job, only problem with it is the orientation on an AM2 socket, you can only point the fan down or up and not out the case which it optimal.

If I had the money and my store had the stock I probably would have bought the Scythe Ninja, but I have a feeling it may have the same problem with orientation because although it looks symmetrical from the top the bottom part near the block is directional...
Old January 29, 2008, 07:25 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I bought the 5000 BE, currently doing 3.2GHz @ 1.40v on an Ultra 120 temps below 40c (36c with ambient external 22c) in the case on full load.... My thoughts are that for 105 bucks it's tough to match the price performance when you're talking AM2. Motherboard is a TA770 AM2+ for 77.00 bucks.... I'll squeeze more out when I get the new PSU on Thursday, I fried my old powerstream.

Anyhow, this post was about the cooling, the Ultra orientation is not ideal as with other coolers, but it's certainly an effective air cooling device and I find that most of the air off mine is being exhausted by the PSU as it seems to point right at the bottom of it. Case temps are very reasonable with even with low speed Scythes at 500RPM...

Point of note, most (not all) reviews are done out of case so your final temps all depend on in case airflow... overall I think the Ultra was worth the coin, I matched mine with an Sflex F series
Old January 29, 2008, 08:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That ultra 120 is nice, can't beat a 120mm fan for peace and quiet. Only reason I didn't consider it was because it appears to require a backplate and the Vanquisher doesn't. I didn't feel like pulling up my mobo for that. Your temps are awesome Grey, I get 30C idle and no higher than 46C with both cores running orthose prime for 5 minutes with the vanquisher (I used Arctic Silver 5). Of course I've left the 6400 at stock settings...
Old February 5, 2008, 08:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Update: My wife asked me to build her a PC, I got her the 5000+ BE and took advantage of the chance to get my Sythe Ninja. She'll get the Vanquisher, she doesn't care in any case as long as it's fast...