Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2011, 08:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 Sandy Bridge Motherboard Review Comment Thread

Earlier this year, Intel's new Sandy Bridge architecture went on a bit of a hiatus as a recall swept the market clean of supporting motherboards. Now all-new "B3" models have started hitting retailers' shelves and one of the premier boards is Gigabyte's P67A-UD7. It boasts a remarkably full feature set, some great overclocking potential and the B3 refresh also brings some much-needed refinements to the table as well.

[ Read full article ]
Old April 11, 2011, 10:04 PM
Banned
F@H

good god thats one helluva beast!

was expecting mac daddy to be the one to review it, but i see eldonko has done a good jobbe as well!

the sub zero thingie was nice, just proves you dont need expensive cooling to do some mad clocking

with them chippies! also i wouldve preferred to have a gtx 590 or two and show ppl what it means to

have a strong cpu,like doing a test at 1920/2560 rez and increasing cpu speed in the second run...:)

ps no folding numbers at 5.7? :)
Old April 12, 2011, 01:08 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Great review. I have been waiting to see what you think of the new Giga's. I have been enjoying my UD5 for the past few months. Great board.

It's awesome that you include a lot of pictures of the specific parts you are talking about. Really helps for those of us who aren't quite so knowledgeable on IC part numbers and where abouts they are/what they do.

Just noticed a mistake on page 4. Right at the bottom, you call the SLI bridge a crossfire bridge. No biggie, but just thought I would point it out.

Keep up the good work. :D
Old April 12, 2011, 01:40 AM
MVP

A failure due to the layout, with all respect for it's other features. The best choice for 32 lane dual GPU gaming would be the Asus Revolution.
Old April 12, 2011, 05:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

um, not to be overly critical of the review - it was good.. but I would have liked to have seen an air based overclock with the UD7, which would be most peoples setups. The addition of watercooling / extreme cooling is nice, but a very limited audience.

This is the actual critical part. I don't like reading reviews with a lot of mistakes.. I understand the need to push out the articles for advertising dollars (and soforth) but a little more editing will help. Here's a few I found:
1. Features area: SAIT = SATA
2. Packaging and Accessories: Pleasant, not Pleaseant.
3. Included Software: in the Smart 6 area.. you have "speeds speeds" (only one needed)
4. Closer Look: Noise is capitalized
5. Wishlist: ld, should be In.
Plus the SLI/Crossfire thing which was already mentioned.

I basically jetted through the cmos section and a few other sections, but as i'm reading it's a personal pet peeve to see a lot of spelling / grammar errors. It actually takes me away from what i'm reading, and I probably miss content because i'm thinking about it. Some of the wording was redundant, like having a hook in the same sentence as the information.

As for the content, it was pretty in depth which is nice. Overall a good review

I personally would have purchased the UD7 if it was available and in stock when I went to buy my sandy rig setup.. however I opted for the UD5. I don't need tri-SLI so it's not a huge loss.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old April 12, 2011, 06:03 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Thanks for pointing out "all" the errors. Much appreciated.
Old April 12, 2011, 06:41 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thanks guys glad you like it.

_dangtx_ - Dont have a gtx 590, wish I did but such things are above my budget. I highly do not recommend folding at 1.6v ;)
Rison - air oc would be the same. Add 3-5C on load temps and all else is equal. That would put temps at around 67C load with a decent air cooler and 5Ghz.

Other questions Ill get to this evening. Im in meetings all day so wont be around until then.

cheers
Old April 12, 2011, 08:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wow, nice review and good work !!\
Server system
|I7 3820|Asus P9X79|12G G.Skill 1600Mhz|Noctua NH-D14|Corsair Force 3 120GB|LSI megaRAID 9261 8|RAID5 5X 3TB|Corsair AX650|Fractal Design Arc Midi|

Twitch
Old April 12, 2011, 11:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Great review thanks.

This board is leaps and bounds above the previous release(B2). That one was a nightmare so bad that I was nervous waiting for the B3 to show up. Not anymore!

Stability is great, boots solid, etc...

I love mine, and the color scheme fits in great with most new products out there.

Don't waste your time with folding in a review, please. We need to see less focus on folding as it is, it's great that people do it, but it shouldn't have the focus that is has attributed to it at all. Do it because you want to help, anything else is wasteful BS.
Old April 12, 2011, 08:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah I was worried about switching the B2 for B3 but it turned out they fixed the annoying boot issues and bios corruption so B3 is far better in my books. Didnt lose anything on the oc and the board is far easier to use. Dont even have to flash the backup bios on B3.