Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2008, 05:51 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Default GTLs?

I didn't want to hijack the E8400 thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tock-ncix.html), so here's my question: can someone explain me what is GTL?

I've tried google, but I can't seem to find a definite answer.

Thanks.
Old January 21, 2008, 05:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Global

Written by my main man Praz @ XS. Aweome info, and crucial to the dfi P35-T2r.
Old January 21, 2008, 06:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Actually more than I asked - this is a very complicated matter. But I don't understand the values that you are talking about (and the same values shown in the article on page 7); I will use in my next build a Maximus Extreme and Asus also has a CPUGTL setting. But the settings are not the same as your DFI: they are fractions on the Asus.

Quote:
CPU/NB GTL Voltage Reference: CPU: Auto, 0.63x, 0.61x, 0.59x, and 0.57x. NB: Auto, 0.67x, and 0.61x. CPU Gunning Transceiver Logic (GTL) voltages are nothing more than reference levels that the CPU uses when determining if a data or address signal is either high (1) or low (0). Precision voltage dividers generate these voltages and are usually specified as a percentage of VTT. In the case of 0.67, this would be 67% of VTT. For example, if VTT is 1.20v then a CPU GTL Voltage Reference of 0.67x would result in a GTLREF value of 0.67 x 1.20V = ~0.80V.
(taken from AnandTech: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Overclocking: DDR3 Takes Front Stage)

With this example, what is the default value?

Thanks.
Old January 21, 2008, 06:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Not knowing the Asus very well I am not sure what their stock setting would be, but I beleive it is more a fact of reference values set out by Intel, and, it by definition is VTT x 0.67x = GTL Ref. You want to use your GTL Ref to find .067x which can be measured on your motherboard with a DMM to get a scale ready. After you know a baseline, you can ditch the DMM and go by feel.

Basically the tables set out my Praz in the article he wrote are based on his measurements on his P35-T2R. (which can differ from one board to another very easily)

Now to throw a monkey wrench in everything the table are allot different in the 45nm parts. I, myself found that on my Q6600 G0, I actually disabled GTL ref and let the reference values be as I got what I wanted without messing with them. That seems to have changed in the Wolfdale parts. This could be a BIOS code issue, but only time will tell.

I read that article and I found it alittle over my paygrade, or perhpas I am just too lazy to really get it all down pat. Perhaps my E8400 will force me

Edit: I also will be moving my PS3 to fold for Hardware Canucks Charlie ;). I dont fold a whole lot but I am really liking the vibe at the forum here. Should give alittle back.

Last edited by turtletrax; January 22, 2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old January 21, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My ip35-pro has this too and its set to 67% for both and it sounds like this is basically a way to allow for lower voltages but still maintain a good overclock...

Gonna have to readup more on this.
Old January 21, 2008, 07:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks to both; I will definitely need to read that acticle again. And don't worry, this is way over my head too...
@ TT, thanks for the new folder! The more, the better. All points count.
Old January 21, 2008, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yup, as soon as I read that in the E8400 thread, I started hitting the search engines too. Thanks for the article, looks like I've got some reading to do.