Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2011, 09:14 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Mentioned in the conclusion is the fact the the extra $20 for the EVO is not worth it, I'm just wondering but why not? Is it not the same board with a bit better cooling, power/reset buttons on board and an extra ethernet port? Or is it missing something the Pro has? I only ask cause that doesn't sound to bad for an extra $20.
You actually don't need the extra-cooling on these boards, neither the chipsets nor the MOSFETs get particularly hot even when doing serious overclocking.

The extra LAN port is not something that most people make use of in my experience. It is nice to have as a backup, but not for an extra 10%.

So in my eyes, the $20 premium is really only for the onboard power/reset buttons. *I* love having them, but let's be honest, most people build their system and don't open the case again until it's upgrade time.
Old March 17, 2011, 09:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What EVGA boards are you speaking of? Only one I have is P55 FTW and it is awesome. I love the bios switch.
Old March 17, 2011, 09:18 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I agree, a screwdriver or home made switch does the same thing as power and reset buttons, extra cooling is not necessary, and very few need a second ethernet. $20 upgrade is pointless IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
You actually don't need the extra-cooling on these boards, neither the chipsets nor the MOSFETs get particularly hot even when doing serious overclocking.

The extra LAN port is not something that most people make use of in my experience. It is nice to have as a backup, but not for an extra 10%.

So in my eyes, the $20 premium is really only for the onboard power/reset buttons.
Old March 17, 2011, 09:23 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
What EVGA boards are you speaking of? Only one I have is P55 FTW and it is awesome. I love the bios switch.
E760 Classified and a whole lot of SR-2s.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old March 17, 2011, 09:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

i never really had problem problem ocing a classified, 760, it's the best board i've used, but my sabertooth p67 is so smooth, those SB chips are real fun to play with.
Old March 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
Rookie

How is the vanilla P8P67? Is there a comparison chart somewhere to see the different flavours of ASUS P67 boards and how they compare?
Old March 18, 2011, 11:07 AM
Rookie

Default Excellent Review

SKYMTL, this review is definitely one of the best I ever came across! Thank you very, very much.

I was especially fascinated by the photos in the installation and layout section showing how RAM and CPU cooler interfere. Fantastic!

I wonder, though, if things might improve once the fan would have been installed on the other side of the CPU cooler (mounted in reverse and operated in "pull mode", of course). Or will this decrease the cooler's performance that much?

Greeetz, Thomas
Old March 18, 2011, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You know that MAC was the author of the review right?
Old March 18, 2011, 09:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanr View Post
How is the vanilla P8P67? Is there a comparison chart somewhere to see the different flavours of ASUS P67 boards and how they compare?

Note that the Evo/Deluxe also comes with a PLX chip. Pro has Intel NIC while the Vanilla uses Realtek.
Old March 18, 2011, 10:33 PM
Rookie

Thanks Deviant,

Picked up a P8P67 Vanilla today. Not worth $30 for SLI support as I'm building with a 6850 and giving up an eSATA port and PCIe slot is no big deal as I have a pretty minimalistic build going.