Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2011, 08:11 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Question i7 920 stock... reg temps?

This build of mine is roughly 2 years old. To the best of my knowledge and ability, I applied the thermal cooling compound correctly... I know stock isn't worth a darned, but shouldn't it keep the CPU from remotely overheating? I am fairly sure my next step will be to upgrade to an aftermarket cooler. However, I am still somewhat concerned. I haven't had any crashes or shutdowns...

What is an average temperature reading of an i7 920, stock (no OCing) with a stock cooler and a above average air cooled case? Say idle, does it get into the 50c range? Mine is pushing 60c idle right now , and I'm a little concerned, mostly because I have no way of telling how long this has been going on, or what the average temps should be.

It's not the common man that's important at all. It's the uncommon man.
Old March 15, 2011, 08:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

60C?? My 930 gets about 70 degrees when loading and it is overclocked to 3.3 GHz (stock cooler too)
60 is way too much. Vacuum your cpu cooler. Probably has alot of dust. Try that.
Old March 15, 2011, 10:18 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Unhappy

I had feared as much. Unfortunately, my fan / heatsink, heck, even the inside of my computer are fairly clean at the moment.

I guess it's time to invest in a relatively cheap, but well rated aftermarket cooler. What does everyone think of this one?

Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-ZAIO-92 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

As far as price range goes, there are a few more in that area. However, I only saw two that were very highly rated. The other was a brand I haven't heard of, and since I haven't been disappointed in Rosewill products thusfar, I am thinking I should go with this one.

Old March 16, 2011, 11:16 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Red face Cable management folks

OK so I have the HAF 922 case that for the past year and a half I have been very pleased with. I must admit before tonight my cable management was atrocious. I worked for about a half hour to an hour "rewiring" the entire case, and now it looks soooo much smoother and cleaner. I also blew it out with air (wasn't all that dusty) and I should note one of my 120mm fans was making too much noise for my taste (went loose in the bracket) so I replaced it (had an extra one from a previous build).

The best part is, my CPU temps went from a constant 60c or more idle to 52c tops idle... Although it is still a little too warm for my liking, so I'mma get the aftermarket Rosewill CPU cooler I posted in the link. What I am wondering is WHAT caused this? Was bad cable management / less air flow REALLY making my CPU heat up an extra 8 or more degrees celcius? Was it the noisy fan not doing as well as it should have? I'm fairly certain that the dust hadn't built up THAT bad.

I'm thinking it was a combo of the fan not working optimally AND the bad cable management. I have an inklination it was mostly the bad cable management and poorer air flow. The noisey fan really wasn't all that bad...

Moral of the story? Make sure you wire your cabling inside your case really well once you build it, because you won't be able to thank yourself enough later.

Old March 17, 2011, 12:06 AM
Banned
F@H

sounds like a good idea, although we demand pics!!! :)

now,depending on how bad the cable mess is, it could make a small difference..or not.
i tried once to go maniacal on it, it looked pro too. the difference was negligible, and thats with 3 gpus
Old March 22, 2011, 06:07 PM
Rookie

give it a try with an aftermarket heatsink. yes sir, good cable management does help a bit.