Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2011, 07:06 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Newly installed MB Question

Hello;
What needs doing?
I just upgraded from a Asus Rampage II Extreme to a Rampage III Extreme.
Comp is running fine. My concern is that I didn't upgrade/install any new software provided along with the MB. Do I need to? Should I throw in the disc? Would my Bios be up to date?

Thx for any thoughts.
Old February 16, 2011, 08:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

...Windows activation is still OK with your motherboard change?

Don't update the BIOS unless you WANT one of the features in the new BIOS. You can look at your BIOS screen to check the version you have now (probably not the latest given how frequent ASUS has updates to BIOS), and see if there's anything you want in the newer BIOS. Otherwise, leave it because there's no point risking a troubleshooting session over BIOS bugs.

As for software, do not use the disc and download from ASUS's web site (despite how slow it may be). Check in Device Manager if there are any question marks or "X"s, (stuff that's missing a driver), and download drivers for whatever device got flagged.
Old February 16, 2011, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

as frontier204 mention just download the drivers and whatever else you need. this is always a good idea because you never know how old the drivers and software is on the disk.
Old February 17, 2011, 10:14 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks!