Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2011, 06:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Gigabyte RMA Customer Service (UPDATED READ LATEST POSTS)

Now i'm not one to normally complain however the RMA customer service i've been received from Gigabyte has been down right horrible.

The first email they sent me is a standard one, no surprise there

The second one i just got today is what really pisses me off. I never emailed them back as i assumed all the information i had given them about the problem was good enough, so as any normal person would think after 2 business days they would start working on it. Instead i get this email saying i sent them a damaged motherboard, that they will try to fix it but if they can't they wont replace it and will send me the damaged motherboard back.

Here are the pictures they sent me that show the damage.

Now what the hell is that damage, i sent them a motherboard that had no physical defects and they go ahead and show me this.

That's not even the half of it, not only are they claiming i sent them a damaged motherboard that could have only been damaged by a poorly trained technician, their contact info is useless. Where the hell is a 1-800 number, they dont have one so if you're on hold for a while you're paying out of your pocket to talk to a real person. Their service hours are shitty too, 8:30am until 5:30pm PST, again not a single global company have i deal with that has such limited hours.

I'm going to be emailling them back tonight giving them a piece of my mind, and potentially calling them tomorrow if i can fit it into my day of quiz, class, lab, lab report and studying for a midterm on wed. All i can say is that i am never going to buy from them again if this is how they treat their customers, nor will i ever recommend a single one of their products to family or you guys on here if you potentially have to go through the same abysmal RMA i am.

Last edited by Arinoth; February 7, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old February 7, 2011, 06:59 PM

My System Specs

I definitely do not like hearing things like this. After seeing the problems that Rison had w/ his EVGA SR-2 RMA I've started taking pictures of the equipment before shipping it out to show the lack of the so called damage just in case.

Hopefully you get things straightened out.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's just a bit of a legal disclaimer, standard for all North American RMAs from Taiwanese companies. Someone probably slipped with the soldering iron while replacing components and now they're just covering their behinds. I would contact them and clarify the situation though, the message isn't very eloquently worded, (which is typical for these companies) they say they will put the board through a full QC process, but also say they'll void the warranty if it fails the QC. (they must speak good english) I doubt you'll receive a defective board in return though.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

This is just not acceptable from a first tier company. I would expect shenanigans like this from MSI or DFI...but not GB. If Gigabyte wants to act like its a first tier company and compete with the likes of Asus this level of CS wont cut it. It would not surprise me in the least to hear that this is a discontinued model mobo and their "unofficial" official response is to deny, deny, deny so as to not give out a new mobo for what is obviously their tech's mistake! Its pretty obvious they screwed up and now are trying to blame the customer for thier mistake.

I know I personally have been a champion of GB and have recommended (as well as used them in my clients builds) for the past year. BUT with so called "customer service" like this...I cant take the risk of getting a bad one. There is no way I can eat the cost of a mobo just becuase the mfg'er decides they dont want to honour their warranty. Add in on top this their "response" to the P67 debacle (really GB...a WAIVER so that people can have the "honour" of being put on your wait list...for a known defective part? You don't see Asus doing that...gee i wonder why...maybe its because they have a CS & PR that actually CARES about its reputation) and it appears GB is going down hill. Time to get off that train before it crashes...again (anyone else remember earlier GB problems). Guess I will go back to using (and recommending) ASUS and eVGA (and maybe MSI as my 3rd pick).

Im sorry to hear that it happened to you Arinoth. I would strongly recommend posting this to as many groups as possible so that the enthusiast community can get the word out before someone else gets screwed over like you are being screwed over.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; February 7, 2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

AkG you would be right about the motherboard. Its been discontinued from at least internet retailers for at least 6 months, and before GB updated their website they labelled the motherboard as discontinued as well. The reason its discontinued is a lot of people had cap whine whenever they overclocked, which i never had this issue at all.

My biggest gripe is the way they worded is that the fact if they can't fix a mistake they made i wont get a replacement board and i potentially could get a dead board back.

I am no stranger to RMAs as i've had parts die on me over the year, just nothing nearly as bad as this. Asus was a pleasure to deal with and the fact i could get it fixed within canada severely saved on shipping costs. I am out around $50 just shipping the board from way out east to the southern part of california.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Knowing Arinoth you can be sure that he did not damage this board in the manner suggested by Gigabyte.

Hopefully you will get a properly-working board back soon.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 7, 2011, 07:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I really want to know what this damage is from, i mean there is no way that is shipping damage. The fact that i actually sent it within 2 boxes with enough protective packaging to increase the weight of my shipping to several pounds leads me to believe a technician made a mistake on my board. Rather then admitting it they are blaming me instead, its deplorable.
Old February 7, 2011, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, I've never before purchased a Gigabyte motherboard and I think it just cements the fact that i should continue my trend. Not only this whole fiasco but you also had to pay to ship your defective product to them? Now you're even losing money if they send you back a death mobo. Hopefully it all works out nice for ya.
Old February 7, 2011, 08:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The pic looks like a leaking caps. Or as someone slipped the soldering iron.

But thanks for posting this, if i need to RMA anything (knock on wood not) ill be taking pics with the date/time before i sent it to RMA. Therefore, i have proof that it was sent it good order.

Hope things work out.

Gaming Rig:

-Swiffy MCP35x X2 & 240 Rad, (2) 480 EX XSPC Rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HTPC Rig:

-AMD 1100T, Gigabyte UD5, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, Asus 650ti Boost, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Antec 650 watt PS, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old February 7, 2011, 11:04 PM
Banned
F@H

yeah that looks like some sort of liquid.

i think,it was martin? who said he takes a pic of anything that goes out the door. smart thing to do.
with the few rma's i usually do i follow those steps, although ive been lucky so far, save some mail
man going postal on the box :D

so,as per my usual advice, get a bit louder.

edit : if you want me to talk to them, let me know. im baad :)