Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2011, 01:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Oh Snap, Glad I didn't buy Sandy Bridge CPU

Well, I am sure a lot of heard about the Sandy Bridge debacle now. If you haven't and you have these ships. Prepare to send them back for a recall from Intel. Glad that they are owning up to their screw up, hope that they aren't following in Toyota's recalls!!!

TAKEN FROM TOM'S HARDWARE

Sandy Bridge Debacle: What It Means for You
2:10 PM - January 31, 2011 by Tuan Nguyen - source: Tom's Hardware US
Hot on the heels of Intel's recall of its series-6 chipset known to everyone as "Sandy Bridge," we spoke to several motherboard and system manufacturers about what's going to happen for them, and their customers.

The error lies in Sandy Bridge's SATA controller, which at this time, is identified to degrade performance over time. But, what does this mean for motherboard and system manufacturers:

According to several major manufacturers that we spoke to, customers are calling asking to return stock. Since mass quantities of boards and systems have already been sold into the channel, systems builders are still waiting for official word from Intel on what to do. Surprisingly, top management at companies like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc., did not even hear about this issue until this morning -- when everyone else found out.

Zoom

Zoom

Zoom

This is definitely a major roadblock for Intel, and it means several things for you as a customer:
- If you've bought a Sandy Bridge system, you may be entitled to a free replacement.

Manufacturers told us that revised motherboards and notebooks based are unlikely to appear until at least April of this year, and Intel probably won't be supplying new chipset revisions until early to mid-March. However, replacements are unclear as manufacturers are informing us that details need to be worked out with Intel on how customers will be handled.

Intel claims that only 5-percent of Sandy Bridge owners will experience the flaw. But speaking with manufacturers, we were told that numbers appear to be far greater than that. Some companies told us that this is definitely a "panic-mode" situation for them.

Motherboards that you already have today will still work, but you may see performance drop over time.

- If you're thinking about a Sandy Bridge system, you will have to wait until at least April.

Clearly, buying a Sandy Bridge system isn't what anyone should be doing at this moment.

- Desktops, notebooks, servers are all affected.

This is a widespread problem affecting all products that are based on Sandy Bridge. Notebooks and up-coming Xeon-based servers may take longer than motherboards to see replacements become widely available.

- Expect delays in new availability.

Some companies told us that there is some shortage of copper and other materials from the manufacturing side. This could further introduce delays beyond an April time frame.

- Sandy Bridge updates.

Intel is expected to hold several conference calls with major manufacturers today and let them know how the situation will be handled. We'll have more details for you later this afternoon.
Old January 31, 2011, 01:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Welcome to the world of early adopters.

Same crap happened with nvidia and 680i
Old January 31, 2011, 01:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Meh. It was either upgrade to 1366 or 1155 before the year ended. 1155 seemed like the clear choice. Nonetheless, I'm using my SATA3 ports only at the moment anyway. Besides, I think the problem might be overblown when the projected numbers is only 15% of users under heavy usage or 5% with light usage. Nonetheless, I'm happy with my upgrade but still disappointed with the fact I'd need to replace the board.
Old January 31, 2011, 01:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

From what I understand the problem is on the motherboards, not the CPUs ... not that you can do much with the CPU without the mobo of course.
Old January 31, 2011, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
Meh. It was either upgrade to 1366 or 1155 before the year ended. 1155 seemed like the clear choice. Nonetheless, I'm using my SATA3 ports only at the moment anyway. Besides, I think the problem might be overblown when the projected numbers is only 15% of users under heavy usage or 5% with light usage. Nonetheless, I'm happy with my upgrade but still disappointed with the fact I'd need to replace the board.
Personally 1366 is still better and reliable than 1155 is and because of that I'm still looking to build a 1366 machine over a 1155.
Old January 31, 2011, 02:50 PM
Top Prospect

Yeah I saw this news earlier today.. I was actually considering to buy one at the end of this year.. But won't happen unless the problem is solved.. I feel bad for all the users that bought this =/ Must suck..
Old January 31, 2011, 02:51 PM

My System Specs

Can't say I really give an eff about this. If I notice any degradation, I'll just throw my SSD on the 6Gbps controller instead.
Old January 31, 2011, 03:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I had my SSD on the sata2.0 controller and I got a few preference files for things like my browser and skype corrupted and reset.
Old January 31, 2011, 04:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I just built my new Sandybridge system last week on a DH67CF mobo which only has 4 SATA ports, they are all being used. If I understand it correctly the issues are only likely to occur on ports 2 and 3 as my ports 0 and 1 are 6Gbp/s, is this information correct? If it is I will make sure that my SSD and WD Black HDD are using those ports.
Old January 31, 2011, 04:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge22 View Post
I just built my new Sandybridge system last week on a DH67CF mobo which only has 4 SATA ports, they are all being used. If I understand it correctly the issues are only likely to occur on ports 2 and 3 as my ports 0 and 1 are 6Gbp/s, is this information correct? If it is I will make sure that my SSD and WD Black HDD are using those ports.
Correct, keep your HDD's and SSD's on the 6GBp/s and the DVD drives and such on the other ports.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com