Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Maximus Formula RAID? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/4022-maximus-formula-raid.html)

JD January 9, 2008 09:24 PM

Maximus Formula RAID?
 
Well, I'm considering buying the Maximus Formula rather soon (within the next day or so), so I wanted to know if the following is possible:
2x 250GB SATA2 in RAID0
1x 500GB SATA2 by itself
1x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW by itself of course

I guess anybody with the ICH9R southbridge could help out too...

Jack Rabbit January 13, 2008 10:55 AM

I would sure hope so. This is a very simple configuration and any RAID system that can not handle it is not worthy of the name.

My P5N32 is doing that setup right now except the lonely drive is a 250. All I had to do was set drive 0 and 1 as part of the RAID in the BIOS and set drive 2 as normal. Then reboot and go into the RAID BIOS and tell it to put both drives in a RAID 0 group. Then reboot again and get the floppy disk ready for 'F6' installing drivers in XP. It took me longer to fight with getting the floppy to work than all the rest of the process.

Download the manual and it should be pretty clear how you would do the same.

JD January 13, 2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit (Post 34591)
I would sure hope so. This is a very simple configuration and any RAID system that can not handle it is not worthy of the name.

My P5N32 is doing that setup right now except the lonely drive is a 250. All I had to do was set drive 0 and 1 as part of the RAID in the BIOS and set drive 2 as normal. Then reboot and go into the RAID BIOS and tell it to put both drives in a RAID 0 group. Then reboot again and get the floppy disk ready for 'F6' installing drivers in XP. It took me longer to fight with getting the floppy to work than all the rest of the process.

Download the manual and it should be pretty clear how you would do the same.

Yeah well you see on my P5N-E SLI, doing so just messed it all up. The board is now unstable at a previous stable overclock. However this motherboard has been quirky since day one I guess.

I've already ordered the Maximus Formula so it better work...

enaberif January 13, 2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 34602)
Yeah well you see on my P5N-E SLI, doing so just messed it all up. The board is now unstable at a previous stable overclock. However this motherboard has been quirky since day one I guess.

I've already ordered the Maximus Formula so it better work...

Not a good idea to overclock and run raid at all. If you want to run raid I suggest a stable non-overclocked system.

silverchair January 15, 2008 06:15 PM

I think it will run, as my friend had a maximus formula with this HD's
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ST/Update3.jpg

Empty_Quarter January 15, 2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 34608)
Not a good idea to overclock and run raid at all. If you want to run raid I suggest a stable non-overclocked system.

Oh? I didn't know that, I would be venturing into setting 4 raptor-Xs in Riad-0 as well as maintaining my current OC of 3.6GHz. This is not recommended?

AkG January 15, 2008 07:32 PM

I think its more of a case of make sure your OC is 100 and 10% stable first. As this is "software RAID" we are talking about and one lil' OC caused hiccup can equal hours of frustration.

JD January 15, 2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverchair (Post 34980)
I think it will run, as my friend had a maximus formula with this HD's

Thats reassuring :biggrin:

Oh and I like living life on the edge :haha: RAID and overclocking, why not? Only thing on my RAID is Windows and programs, nothing valuable by any means.

mattydies January 16, 2008 02:40 PM

I have a P5N-E Mobo and am working on my OC now.

I have topped out the Video Cards OC, I am working on the ram atm. Can't wait for the CPU.

I have 2 X 74 Raptors (RAID 0)
and 1 - 750 Gig SATA 2 Seagate

So far so good :)

JD January 16, 2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattydies (Post 35120)
I have a P5N-E Mobo and am working on my OC now.

I have topped out the Video Cards OC, I am working on the ram atm. Can't wait for the CPU.

I have 2 X 74 Raptors (RAID 0)
and 1 - 750 Gig SATA 2 Seagate

So far so good :)

Best of luck with that.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 AM.