Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2011, 10:08 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default AM3+ - Same mounting as AM3?

Does anyone know if the AM3+ will have the same mounting options for cooling as the AM3? Or will it be something like Intel where they shift the mounting holes by an 1/8"? Just to clarify, I'm referring to the placement of the holes on the motherboard for mounting an aftermarket cooler. Not the CPU itself.

Reason being, I'm looking at dropping some coin on a HK3.0 and will be looking to upgrade to Bulldozer once it's available. (AMD Fanboy and proud of it!)

Not sure if there is enough information available yet, but perhaps someone might have an inside scoop? ;)

Thanks!
Old January 25, 2011, 10:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I honestly don't think they would shift their cooling setup. AMD has been very good at keeping the exact same layout as previous generations. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

From a few leaked boards I've seen it looks to be the same clip-mounting. Which is good for existing coolers I guess but still presents a problem for heatpipe designs that use the stock bracket and clip mounting... the clip can't really pass through the heatpipes thus not giving orientation options.
Old January 25, 2011, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know exactly what it will be, but I know that some new boards are releasing AM3+ capable sockets that still fit AM3... does that help?
Old January 25, 2011, 03:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
From a few leaked boards I've seen it looks to be the same clip-mounting. Which is good for existing coolers I guess but still presents a problem for heatpipe designs that use the stock bracket and clip mounting... the clip can't really pass through the heatpipes thus not giving orientation options.

Not true. There are many coolers that are Heatpipe setup and they use a special bracket to keep the mounting in the proper W/E Orientation.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 26, 2011, 10:18 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks! I guess I'll pull the pin on the HK3.0 then and hope!
Old January 27, 2011, 01:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Don't forget the trip report!

But to echo the others here, I can't imagine them possibly changing the mounting method, as even if it has some problems going east/west you know your hardware will still work over so many generations of processors. Which is part of why I've stuck with AMD from socket 939 to AM3.