Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2011, 11:17 PM
Allstar

Default CPU monitoring software

hey guys,

I'm just looking for recommendations on what software I should be using to monitor my CPU.

I have some specific requirements:
*must be able to show current CPU% time usage(sum of total core usage, NOT by core - not a big deal either way)
*must show current max clock speed(when switching between power profiles)
*must show current clock speed
*must show highest core temperature
*must be able to show this information in the notification tray(bottom right corner)

if anyone knows of any firefox extensions that show this information in the toolbar, that would be great as well.

Last edited by Generic User #2; January 15, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old January 14, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Core temp fore INtel and WIN 7

Left click on backgrond of Desktop background / gagetes/ more gagets/ All cpu meter

run core temp and it shows on meter

Cpu clock is wakky but the rest is good.
Old January 15, 2011, 07:02 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I use Everest. You can display just about everything imaginable on screen or on my G15's lcd.
Old January 15, 2011, 07:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

second that everest is great use it on all my overclocks to see that everything is doing.

edit everest does what your asking it post all numbers in the bottom corner ( ie system tray icon ) core temps and motherboard numbers ie temps and such.

Last edited by gingerbee; January 15, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old January 15, 2011, 10:54 AM
Allstar

hey guys, i'm well aware of the various popular programs around. I just need to know which of those programs offer their services through an icon in the notification tray. desktop widgets are not the same thing.

OP edited for emphasis :)
Old January 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I prefer to use Real Temp for intel cpus as i've found Core Temp to not be as accurate. Inversely i've found Core temp to be more accurate for AMD and much older intel (775) cpus.

Bolth programs will give you system tray icons as well as tell you load usage and such if you open them
Old January 15, 2011, 11:43 AM
Allstar

775? does that apply to core 2 duo mobile chips?
Old January 15, 2011, 12:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

core 2 duo = 775

i think you'll have hard time fiding a program with all those infos in the tray bar...it is not a very popular spot for displaying many informations
Old January 15, 2011, 01:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
hey guys, i'm well aware of the various popular programs around. I just need to know which of those programs offer their services through an icon in the notification tray. desktop widgets are not the same thing.

OP edited for emphasis :)

I'm pretty sure everest can do that. Ok I checked on mine and yes for sure you can have icons in the tray with all of the information you want. So it can give you info on something like the G15 keyboard, desktop gadgets or the notification tray, your choice. Really highly recommend it.

I have just seen how everest is now discontinued due to being bought up by FinalWire. That said is the new AIDA as good as everest is? I know that AIDA64 Extreme Edition is the sucessor to Everest Ultimate, but since it is another company is it still as good or not?

Reading more about it and I think I might switch over to it sometime soon. Check it out here:
Overview | AIDA64 Extreme Edition | CPU Benchmark | System Stability Test | PC Tuning

Last edited by ipaine; January 15, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old January 15, 2011, 02:24 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
core 2 duo = 775

i think you'll have hard time fiding a program with all those infos in the tray bar...it is not a very popular spot for displaying many informations
i'm totally fine with using a whole suite of programs.

i just want to see the info at a glance(without popping open a window) and i don't want the program running in the taskbar(although this isn't as big of a deal)