Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2008, 10:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Single Core fury

Oh, who remembers the good old days... Single core, simple system, not a care in the world...

Ok to the point.

Been thinking. My current system is a simple one. Asus K8U-X Socket 754, Athlon 64 +3300, Crucial Ballistix ram, ATI x850 AGP.
So nothing special. Of course I can't be satisfied with todays game requirements so I'm building a larger system. Big powerful and manly.

Seeing how I'm an AMD and ATI devoted follower. (it's like a religion...)
I bought the Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe.
I plan on going with either OCZ or Crucial Ballistix Ram
And Radeon HD 3870. (hopefully I will get 2 more and run the spider or tripple GPU)

Heres the thing. AMD, is HURTING real BADDDD.... Intel is kicking there rear end like Chuck Norris to a bad guy.
The Phenom is in trouble, to many bugs to fix yet. The Opteron's are great just not as much leg room as I want. The Athlon X2 is cool but I really don't need the second core that badly to spend the extra hundred or so.

So if your still reading this, and you see where I am going with all this. What do you think? Can you live with just a single core?

Frankly I think I want to go with the Athlon 64 LE-1600 or the LE-1620

For like a third of the price I get a quality AMD processor that has had a record of being a GREAT overclocker and generate little heat. Hell I know it can do 3.2Ghz on air. Who knows on water.

Voice those opinion's people. As far as I am concerned. This is my aim until AMD comes out with a 45nm processor.
Old January 8, 2008, 12:02 AM
Allstar

IIRC, Spider only supports up to 4 single slot or 2 dual slot GPUs ...
Old January 8, 2008, 12:15 AM
MVP

No.
At least not for newer games.
At least get a dual core.
And there's nothing wrong with AMD's quad, they just suck for overclocking, & are poorer performance than Intel's lowest quad (Q6600...let's not count X3210 for now anyway).

I'm going to copy n paste what i just posted at another forum in response to basically the same question.

Quote:
Well, just for this thread i ran some newer games with task manager open in the secondary display.

It seems Vista is very apt at load balancing, since i noticed the main load actually switching cores, & with all the games, even the 2nd & third cores were being utilized slightly more than idle & small spikes, though i'd assume this is also somewhat due to Vista.

Crysis & COD4 use one core primarily, but are also utilizing a second core to a lesser extent.

Kinda like 1.5 cores you could say.

Timeshift seemed to use one primarily, but a little bit of a second one.
Hard to tell the way it kept switching which core was bearing the primary load.

UT3 & Bioshock use all four cores, & actually spread the load evenly too...pretty impressive however they got it to work that well.

I believe basically all UE3 games utlize multicores the same, meaning quad is indeed even better than dual, nevermind single core.

So for older games, you'll be okay.

Newer ones, especially UE3 titles, things won't be so fun.
Old January 8, 2008, 08:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi_man View Post
Frankly I think I want to go with the Athlon 64 LE-1600 or the LE-1620

For like a third of the price I get a quality AMD processor that has had a record of being a GREAT overclocker and generate little heat. Hell I know it can do 3.2Ghz on air. Who knows on water.
My HTPC's 35$ am2 sempron gets the job done, plus these little procs are great OCers and generate little heat. Give them or the LE's a shot, for the price...!

I'm sure you can get decent gaming performance form them once OC'ed ....

Old January 8, 2008, 08:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

There are games now that do take advantage of multiple cores. Which is great, just the majority don't.

From what I have seen with the Phenom... it's hurting. It is less powerful then the lowest Intel quad, which really leaves a bad impression on AMD. The Phenom Black edition looked exciting, however I still don't trust it to be worth my money.

Has anyone here ever tried to OC an Athlon 64 LE??? Or for that matter, who here is still using single core processors and loves it?
Old January 8, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Dude...buy an Intel mobo that is capable of running Crossfire(dual is enough) and slap a biug fat INTEL quad on it! You'll be so happy......almost as happy as when you convert to buddhism.....!!
Old January 8, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Multiple cores is actually getting pretty common, in my experience. Older games, not so much, but even FPS's seem to be using a surprising number of cores on a consistant basis.

Here's a quick task manager shot from playing COD4:
Attachment 1319

Last edited by MpG; January 3, 2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old January 8, 2008, 08:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

If I wanted Intel I would of from the beginning... I like AMD, it's just preference to me.
Old January 8, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

I hear you. I'd probably be AMD myself, but I'm too power-hungry to be principled.

Personally, I'd look really strongly at spending a little extra for a cheap dual-core chip. The BE series chips can generally be had for about $100, and you know they'll be some OC-ing headroom there with a decent heatsink. Furthermore, they're 65nm process and good on power consumption. Unless you restrict yourself to games that are already half a year old, you'll get far more use out of a second core than a couple hundred extra GHz. and you'll future-proof yourself a lot more while waiting for AMD to hit 45nm (or at least, for Phenom to get its act together).