Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2011, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The crash definitely means your CPU isn't getting as much cooling as it needs. It's an issue, but not the end of the world. Most applications won't push your processor that far so you should be fine for now, but I wouldn't just let it be. Have you cleaned out your heatsink? My guess is 3 years of dust buildup below the fan is causing the poor thermals. I would suggest getting a value aftermarket heatsink like the CM Hyper 212 if you don't want to clean out that nasty gunk. (just make sure it fits) Thermal throttling probably did play a factor in the poor performance, though I doubt there's anything seriously wrong with the CPU itself.

As for the tjmax value, it's a bit of a toss up. Each core typically has a slightly different value, but since you didn't crash until well after 100c, I would say all 4 values are definitely under that. To figure out the exact value would require either too much time or special equipment. It would be a lot easier just to keep the processor as cool as possible and make the best guess you can on tjmax. Or just keep in mind that certain temps aren't what they're reported to be - although that would make me worry a lot having to see 90c in Real Temp every time I look.
Old January 15, 2011, 09:41 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
The crash definitely means your CPU isn't getting as much cooling as it needs. It's an issue, but not the end of the world. Most applications won't push your processor that far so you should be fine for now, but I wouldn't just let it be. Have you cleaned out your heatsink? My guess is 3 years of dust buildup below the fan is causing the poor thermals. I would suggest getting a value aftermarket heatsink like the CM Hyper 212 if you don't want to clean out that nasty gunk. (just make sure it fits) Thermal throttling probably did play a factor in the poor performance, though I doubt there's anything seriously wrong with the CPU itself.

As for the tjmax value, it's a bit of a toss up. Each core typically has a slightly different value, but since you didn't crash until well after 100c, I would say all 4 values are definitely under that. To figure out the exact value would require either too much time or special equipment. It would be a lot easier just to keep the processor as cool as possible and make the best guess you can on tjmax. Or just keep in mind that certain temps aren't what they're reported to be - although that would make me worry a lot having to see 90c in Real Temp every time I look.
I didn't want to specify as I didn't want to get yelled at for letting the number get too high, but it finally crashed around 150 degrees. Although i guess that means it's definitely not 150 degrees, right? Even in the searches i've recently done about the q9450 tj max discrepancies, 150 seems to be quite high compared to the others that i've seen.

I've already done a very thorough cleaning of the case and cleaned out the heatsink itself. I even completely reseated the heatsink to make sure it wasn't a contact problem, although you never know with those stupid intel pushpins.

Gonna run memtest just for shits and giggles though.
Old January 15, 2011, 09:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

WOW!

I would definitely say for sure tjmax is 85c or lower. If your processor actually got that hot I don't think you'd have a functional computer right now, the melting point for most processor semiconductors is just under that. Around 130c.

But it's strange that a clean stock cooler isn't able to prevent thermal shutdown from occurring on a stock chip - although those things weren't very good for the Core2Quads. I would suggest a cheap aftermarket cooler that fits your build.
Old January 16, 2011, 07:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It could be a faulty probe reading or something on the board. I would say that your CPU would have been fried long before that 150c temp reading for sure.
Old January 16, 2011, 07:22 PM
Top Prospect

here is my latest try at 3dmark vantage : Result

Any thing you guys can garner from that? Realtemp shows that the hottest the CPU got was between 64-72, keeping in mind i've altered the TJ max to be 85 (although i think 90 may be a bit more accurate, who knows?)

I'm starting to ease up a bit on the nervousness since reading up on the whole q9450 tjmax issue. It basically means my cpu isn't reaching insane temperatures quite as fast as i expected, but it does mean that i'm hitting crash temperatures at stock running only prime 95 (would probably crash if i had let LinX go a bit longer).

Will be doing my research for a heatsink tonight. Really like the sound of the Frio but I can't for the life of me figure out if it would fit my motherboard or case.

Also arkham is done. I'll post back with results and temps for that.

Also on the issue of the tjmax. My cpu is idling at around 20 degrees. I checked the ambient temp of my room and it varies from 18-24 degrees. I read somewhere that a stock cpu should probably idle at around 6 degrees higher than the ambient temp. Why can't intel just release the *real* tjmax, and not try to shove 100 down our throats? *sigh*

Last edited by overlords; January 16, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old January 16, 2011, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your system doesn't appear to be throttling in a realistic load scenario since your scores aren't unrealistically low. It seems you only have inadequate cooling and a poorly coded game not liking fast hardware.

Also, temps further away from tjmax are often inaccurate, don't worry too much about the unrealistically low idle temps. Getting the load temps as accurate as possible is the only important thing.
Old January 17, 2011, 07:56 PM
Top Prospect

would you say the values are below average for a q9450?