Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2011, 09:50 PM
Banned
F@H

yes, when the speed is reduced youll lag like nutz.

dont dust it off in your room, that dust is not exactly healthy.
Old January 11, 2011, 10:01 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
yes, when the speed is reduced youll lag like nutz.

dont dust it off in your room, that dust is not exactly healthy.

that's exactly why i'm not doing it now. If it's not too cold tomorrow, might do it on the balcony. I'll post with updates in the morning. Thanks again everyone.
Old January 12, 2011, 06:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Dust can kill. A friend of mine complained his computer got loud, so I took a look. The cpu heatsink had a layer of dirt/cat hair between it and the fan. A nothing fancy vacuum and q-tip to poke at it dropped noise (fan rpm) and dropped the temp almost 30 deg C.
Old January 12, 2011, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup i have a pc in my work area ( lmao bedroom ) that is dead and i am leaning towards dust being the cause it was like a layer cake of dust on the no heatsinked south bridge and there's burn marks on said SB now and the board will not boot at all
Old January 12, 2011, 08:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ya, If you have any animals. You should clean it out regularly for sure.
Old January 13, 2011, 08:14 PM
Top Prospect

no animals here, and i'm really starting to worry something is wrong.

My worries aren't about running the game anymore, but worried that something is seriously wrong.

I completely cleaned out the case of all dust. Unseated the heatsink, cleaned off the thermal compound and re-applied some tuniq tx2. I even took out the mobo to make sure the stupid pins were going through and catching on the hs.

I got everything put back together, ran prime 95 and i could easily hit 90 degrees within a minute or two.

So confused.
Old January 13, 2011, 08:51 PM
Top Prospect

maybe you changed voltages in bios accidentally. check there. or just reset it to default.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:25 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragd View Post
maybe you changed voltages in bios accidentally. check there. or just reset it to default.
doesn't appear to be that.
Old January 14, 2011, 07:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

90 degrees at stock volts/speed is way too high, even with the stock cooler. Probably about 20 degrees higher than it should be.

I've never bothered dealing with any of the stock coolers myself, but apparently it's a bitch to have it seated properly even if it seems like it is. If you are absolutely sure that it IS seated properly, that you are applying thermal paste properly (not too much, not too little), and that voltages are indeed fine in the BIOS...then something is wrong with the CPU.

Also, use Real Temp if you aren't to ensure temps are being displayed accurately.

Old January 14, 2011, 09:11 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
90 degrees at stock volts/speed is way too high, even with the stock cooler. Probably about 20 degrees higher than it should be.

I've never bothered dealing with any of the stock coolers myself, but apparently it's a bitch to have it seated properly even if it seems like it is. If you are absolutely sure that it IS seated properly, that you are applying thermal paste properly (not too much, not too little), and that voltages are indeed fine in the BIOS...then something is wrong with the CPU.

Also, use Real Temp if you aren't to ensure temps are being displayed accurately.
Applies TIM like i always do, everything is at default. I even took the mobo out of the case completely to make sure the pins were all catching the underside of the motherboard completely. Both realtemp and coretemp are showing the same values. And i have no idea what Intel's policies are on defective units considering it's been a few years since i bought it. what a shit situation.