Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2011, 02:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default What to do

I made a bad mistake...The graphics card for my HTPC is not going to fit in the PCI-E16 slot as well as my extra sata port connection card (I need it for 3 ports) Now my question to you guys here is...
Do I keep my old board and hope it can load and play ps1 imports and all emulators and some new end games off the board (880gma) or I can toss on a GTS210 on this as well. Or option two,

Buy this motherboard,
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H AMD880G ATX AM3 DDR3 3PCIE 2-WAY CrossFireX GBLAN SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - GA-880GA-UD3H In Canada.

Or this board,

NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H 890GX AM3 ATX DDR3 2PCI-E 2PCI SATA3 USB3.0 HDMI GBLAN CrossFireX Motherboard - GA-890GPA-UD3H In Canada.
It's got all the sata ports I need on it so I won't need to rely on a card plus my graphics card and sound and fan card will all fit perfectly fine but then I'll have a spare motherboard laying around as well as a sata card.

What would you do in this position?

Last edited by Blu; January 11, 2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old January 11, 2011, 03:01 AM
Banned
F@H

before you snap and order, broaden our view a bit, with more info or perhaps a piccie of the whole shebang? :)

in sig or drop down menu specs usually help a lot.
Old January 11, 2011, 02:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The HTPC so far has the following,

amd 550 dual core cpu
mobo - to pick here
ram - corsair 4GB sticks x2
psu - seasonic 400watt 80 plus
hard drive - kingston 64GB ssd
storage drives - 6 2TB WD Ears drives
Graphics card is either a 210GT or a 5670 if I get the space for it.

Thats pretty much the specs of it, plus alot of cool little nick nacks to go with it :)

Last edited by Blu; January 11, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old January 11, 2011, 03:20 PM
Banned
F@H

ok,go with the cheaper solution that will have you running.
Old January 11, 2011, 03:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You do know if you get good onboard, aka the HD4200 series that it has no issues with any kind of video playback upto and including 1080p
Old January 11, 2011, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So what is your problem? Your sata card is PCI-e? You could always test out the onboard graphics with your PS1 Emulators and see if it works, and if not you could throw your video card back in and get a PCI Sata card? That would be the better option besides buying a new board...
Old January 11, 2011, 07:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
So what is your problem? Your sata card is PCI-e? You could always test out the onboard graphics with your PS1 Emulators and see if it works, and if not you could throw your video card back in and get a PCI Sata card? That would be the better option besides buying a new board...
I ended up just buying a new board, the problem was I never had the room for the graphics card + the sata card so I ended up with this,
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H 890GX AM3 ATX DDR3 2PCI-E 2PCI SATA3 USB3.0 HDMI GBLAN CrossFireX Motherboard - GA-890GPA-UD3H In Canada.
It will get the job done and gives me room for a extra pci x1 slot which I need for sound or tv tuner card anyways....so I'll put the sound card first, then video card, then tv tuner card then pci fan card. should work out nicely.