Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2011, 06:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Full usb 3.0 and sata 6 Motherboard?

I'm looking for a motherboard upgrade with a ton of usb 3.0 ports and sata 6 ports, my HTPC board has five sata 6 ports but I would like one for my main rig to be full of them as I would sort of like to future proof it ya know? I just looked at evga's new board and was a little saddened that it didn't really come to par in the case of usb 3.0 and sata 6. Do you think it's just for the type of chips that are out? Should I wait for intels next line up of chips to come out as I've heard this line up isn't really enthusiast based but more main stream? Also, how about a motherboard with more then 10 sata slots :)

Last edited by Blu; January 6, 2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old January 6, 2011, 07:18 PM
Top Prospect

The demand for USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gb/s ports are rising, but they're still mostly on enthusiast/premium boards. Also, unless you're running multiple drives in RAID, you aren't going to max the bandwidth. By the time technology has caught up you'll want to completely replace your HTPC. Save your money for the future!

That being said, if you reaaallly need some USB 3.0 or SATA III ports, a present solution would be to purchase an add-on card.
Old January 6, 2011, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sata III is really a joke imho and USB 3.0 is really nice.

I'd rather take a board with USB 3.0 over Sata III.
Old January 6, 2011, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If by lots of USB 3.0 ports means 2 than yes you will find them.

The most I have seen is 4 and that board is pretty expensive. Newegg.ca - ASRock X58 EXTREME6 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

As far as sata 3 it only really matters on fast SSD's. The first Sata 3 SSD is faster than any Sata 2 SSD :)

That board also has 6 sata 3 ports. So if you want extreme now or wait awhile this will become the norm.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 6, 2011, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Sata III is really a joke imho and USB 3.0 is really nice.

I'd rather take a board with USB 3.0 over Sata III.
Why do you think it is a joke? While I do agree with choosing USB 3 over sata 3 if I had to choose but I don't see why you would think it is a joke.

Corsair already has a drive at CES with advertised speeds of 480MB/s read 320MB/s write, which of course is Sata 3. So since we will be seeing even more SSD's needing sata 3 to run at their fun potential I would say it is far from being a joke. I know I would not buy a board now without it having sata 3 on it.

Old January 6, 2011, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Why do you think it is a joke? While I do agree with choosing USB 3 over sata 3 if I had to choose but I don't see why you would think it is a joke.

Corsair already has a drive at CES with advertised speeds of 480MB/s read 320MB/s write, which of course is Sata 3. So since we will be seeing even more SSD's needing sata 3 to run at their fun potential I would say it is far from being a joke. I know I would not buy a board now without it having sata 3 on it.
At this point in time Sata III isn't worth while as most drives are still Sata II only and only a handful are coming out Sata III. When Sata III drives become more popular and chipsets are properly using the Sata III drives then they will be worthwhile as well.
Old January 11, 2011, 11:17 AM
Restricted Poster

The AMD 880/890 series have six SATA3 ports.
Old January 12, 2011, 10:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

@ op -- check this one
GA-880GMA-UD2H
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H - Price Comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H AMD880G mATX AM3 DDR3 1PCIE CrossFireX DVI HDMI GBLAN SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - GA-880GMA-UD2H In Canada.