Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2011, 04:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
quote:The PCIe slots can pump x16 speeds on up to four slots or x8 when occupying all eight. That bandwidth is courtesy of a new Lucid Hydra chip, which may not support the ability to mix and match different graphics cards (and that's probably for the best). The four true x16 slots can be disabled manually via onboard DIP switches dubbed "PCI-E CeaseFire".

Are you sure?
Yeah. All eight at 8x would be good enough for me.

Did the author just refer to four 16x or eight 8x as "bandwidth"? LOL
Old January 4, 2011, 04:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Haha, no no. There was no offence, it was just hard to help you find what you were looking for when we couldnt understand what you were after! But clarity has been made, and looks like you've found what you were after. All is well in the world.
No problem. We're all here to learn (and teach).

I was a little hesitant to use the term bandwidth in the thread title because it was a little ambiguous, but I couldn't think of a better term. I tried to clarify it in my OP, but I guess it needed further clarification.

No offense taken.
Old January 4, 2011, 04:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I guess I'll have to wait. Oh well, it's just as well. I still have to recover from Xmas and the cost of my Revo.

Thanks everyone for all the help, especially JD for steering me in the right direction.
Old January 4, 2011, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

cool you found something that works for ya, i have been running an msi board on one of my i3 builds and so far so good only problem is with a heavy overclock ( 4.0ghz and up some of the usb/devices need to be unplugged and plugged back in after root boot ). but still very sweet board you have there. and since you have to wait i would wait for sandy and go that root or turn to the darkerside ( hint hint it's what i call amd in my house )
Old January 4, 2011, 05:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The more I look into it, the more I like it. They didn't scrimp. It's well powered and has lots of everything.

This should give me growing room for a few years. Wait until the price of SSDs comes down. Those eight slots won't seem like so many.

Old January 4, 2011, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboToronto View Post
This should give me growing room for a few years. Wait until the price of SSDs comes down. Those eight slots won't seem like so many.
Those eight slots do not seem like so many even now. :(
Old January 4, 2011, 08:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I see you found the board! I swear it was on HWC home page as well but I couldn't find it again.

Just take note that it has dual-EPS12V connectors. Very select PSUs have this. And I'm guessing you'll want a fair amount of PCIe power connectors too...
Old January 4, 2011, 11:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
take note that it has dual-EPS12V connectors. Very select PSUs have this. And I'm guessing you'll want a fair amount of PCIe power connectors too...
For sure.

I kinda figured it was a foregone conclusion that I'd need a new PSU. Pretty much any time you do a major system upgrade it involves a better newer power supply. We've come along way from a single ATX connector, a bunch of white molex power plugs and maybe a FDD connector. These days even a USB card needs a SATA power feed.

My old 850w OCZ will go with the MaxForm, Q6600 and DDR2 which it suits so well. Maybe the Sandy won't need as much juice as the Core2 and its old fashioned northbridge, but those 8 PCIe slots and the auxiliary power to what goes in them are sure to add a few watts.

With the cost of the Marshal, a CPU and enough RAM to start, the cost of a new PSU will seem small in comparison. Bring on the 12v rails the size of rebars.