Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2011, 01:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I read over your post a few times but can't seem to find why you need a motherboard w/ more 'IO bandwidth' and why you think your current board isn't supplying enough of it.
I'm limited to SATA2 and USB2 and don't have any PCIe slots open with greater than 1x to put faster controllers in.

I had to pull one of my HD3870s just to add my Revo.

If you don't like the term "IO bandwidth" suggest something more appropriate. My old MB has lots of connectivity, it's just too slow.
Old January 4, 2011, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
well are you going sandy or just an old i7 cause i think you know what i am going to say, considering sandy is right around the corner eh or is it this corner were at right know ha ha you get my point
I hear you. It does seem a little foolish to buy into last gen when the next is already upon us.

I forget where I read it but I seem to recall there being an issue with SB and the number of PCIe lanes available. Maybe I'm wrong. You're much more up-to-date regarding CPUs and chipsets.

I'm still trying to find out more about the SB Big Bang that JD mentioned.
Old January 4, 2011, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

...So you need more 16x SLOTS? PCIE 16x slots? EVGA and a few other companies have boards with up to 7 full length PCIE slots (This means 16x connectivity) on the market.

Slots and IO/Lanes/Bandwith are totally seperate things, and allthough they may work with one another, they really are only means of interfacing with each other.

Here is one 7 slotted 16x PCIE board:
EVGA | Products
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 4, 2011, 02:33 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

List all your hardware. It will make more sense to us.
Old January 4, 2011, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboToronto View Post
I forget where I read it but I seem to recall there being an issue with SB and the number of PCIe lanes available. Maybe I'm wrong. You're much more up-to-date regarding CPUs and chipsets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Even barring that you DO actually 'use' that much IO, getting any board that uses a nf200 chip to give 'virtual' lanes will only pass the bottleneck further down the pipe.

Think DSL vs Cable. Same issues with bandwith as PC's with IO in your (possible) case.
Again, to reiterate; PCIE lanes and IO bandwidth are not the same as connectivity and slots. I think you're confusing the two.

Do you need more bandwidth for massive data transfers, or do you need more slots to plug devices in to run?
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 4, 2011, 02:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

By George, I think I've got it. It's called the Big Bang Marshall:

MSI intros Big Bang Marshal board with eight PCIe x16 slots - TechSpot News

and it seems perfect.

When and where can I get one and how much will it cost?
Old January 4, 2011, 02:46 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The PCIe slots can pump x16 speeds on up to four slots or x8 when occupying all eight. That bandwidth is courtesy of a new Lucid Hydra chip, which may not support the ability to mix and match different graphics cards (and that's probably for the best). The four true x16 slots can be disabled manually via onboard DIP switches dubbed "PCI-E CeaseFire".
Are you sure?
Old January 4, 2011, 03:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
PCIE lanes and IO bandwidth are not the same as connectivity and slots. I think you're confusing the two.
I stand corrected. I wasn't quite sure what to call it because it wasn't an issue of there not being enough slots, but rather that the individual connections are too slow. I'm also aware that just because you have a half dozen PCIe16x slots it doesn't mean you can use them all at once at full speed.

I thought I'd made it pretty clear in my original post what my objective was. I would like to be able to reconnect my other HD3870, perhaps add an additional PCIe4x or faster USB3 card and/or SATA3 card or even additional eSATA ports.

The paltry six SATA ports on the ICH9/ICH10 aren't sufficient. I'd like to be able to connect more storage without switching cables. No I'm not planning on using it as a server but I often copy hundreds of gigabytes between several storage devices simultaneosly and I simply want the convenience of plugging in without having to shuffle cables. I have over a dozen eSATA HDDs and SSDs.

Sorry if my choice of terminology has offended anyone. I'll change the thread title if you want.
Old January 4, 2011, 03:09 PM
Banned
F@H

8 pci-e and 3 bioses? start selling your house, wont be cheap.

nice find though. taking note.

btw, if you were to populate all slots with gpus, wil lthe 6 pin provide enough additional power? :)

Old January 4, 2011, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboToronto View Post
I stand corrected. I wasn't quite sure what to call it because it wasn't an issue of there not being enough slots, but rather that the individual connections are too slow. I'm also aware that just because you have a half dozen PCIe16x slots it doesn't mean you can use them all at once at full speed.

I thought I'd made it pretty clear in my original post what my objective was. I would like to be able to reconnect my other HD3870, perhaps add an additional PCIe4x or faster USB3 card and/or SATA3 card or even additional eSATA ports.

The paltry six SATA ports on the ICH9/ICH10 aren't sufficient. I'd like to be able to connect more storage without switching cables. No I'm not planning on using it as a server but I often copy hundreds of gigabytes between several storage devices simultaneosly and I simply want the convenience of plugging in without having to shuffle cables. I have over a dozen eSATA HDDs and SSDs.

Sorry if my choice of terminology has offended anyone. I'll change the thread title if you want.

Haha, no no. There was no offence, it was just hard to help you find what you were looking for when we couldnt understand what you were after! But clarity has been made, and looks like you've found what you were after. All is well in the world.
Quote: