Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2011, 08:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Nice review,
It's just sad that AMD has nothing else to propose, now that SB is out.

AMD CPUs are a hard sell...they really have to wake up...

Now that SB is out it is a tough fight, but I am sure Dozer will eventually even the playing field once again.
Up until this point however AMD has been the best build for budget/features.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 4, 2011, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

True, but until Dozer comes out, AMD looses more customers again...
They might be able to "even the playing field" but in those SB days, they have to react quick! They could have kept those new CPUs for themselves and pull out something that would have "rocked" the place a little...

Great review, but "Meh" product...put the blame on Sandy!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old January 4, 2011, 09:03 AM
Banned
F@H

im probably rerepeating myself, but the cheap am quads can be clocked. the low end sb's cant. sure power consumption,noise and heat will go out, but for the cheap guy(like me lol) that is ok since the performance increase will kick bott
Old January 4, 2011, 09:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
im probably rerepeating myself, but the cheap am quads can be clocked. the low end sb's cant. sure power consumption,noise and heat will go out, but for the cheap guy(like me lol) that is ok since the performance increase will kick bott
It's too bad that people like us know that, but Joe Blow consumer has no idea of what overclocking is? You know, the types that buy HP/Compaq or Dell, then get mad when they find out they can't update the machine.
Old January 4, 2011, 02:04 PM
Banned
F@H

indeed.

also, he was kinda on the money when he mentioned the performance vs sb

Intel's 'Sandy Bridge' Core processors - The Tech Report - Page 14

kinda ;)
Old January 4, 2011, 02:46 PM
Rookie

Nice review again Mac!
Keep up the great work!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm just really confused by the strategy AMD is taking here in these few months before their bulldozer/fusion releases.

IMO if AMD had been able to release these processors say around the time the I7-875 release date, that it may have had more impact, than announcing these just after Sandy Bridge.

All that aside though, I'll tend to agree in that AMD has to be eyeing some price cuts if they want to continue to maintain the awesome bang for the buck, that they've always been so great with.

Either way, the consumer will have some amazing choices this year, and be the ultimate winners.
Great computing performance, for relatively little cash outlay.
Old January 4, 2011, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for a good review MAC!

I wish AMD released an X4 based on a Thuban with 2 cores disabled instead of trying to push the old, less efficient Phenom II X4 955 again and again...
Old January 5, 2011, 12:15 AM
MVP

What exactly makes the 840 different from a quad core Athlon?
Old January 5, 2011, 04:31 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
What exactly makes the 840 different from a quad core Athlon?
From what I can tell, nothing.
Old January 5, 2011, 10:25 AM
Rookie

Default Good review, but...

I think you fellows need to use a more powerful video card for the gaming tests. The results look GPU bound to me. Alternatively, if you want to test the CPU effect on the game, then run the game at low resolution with minimum eye candy - thus limiting the dependence on the video card. Just my $0.02.