Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2011, 08:34 AM
Trial Member

Default Overclocker hate... I don't get it.

I've been overclocking since T-bird. I can't understand all the hate coming from the OC community for SB.

"It seems the days of budget friendly overclocking are officially dead on the Intel platform and believe us, it will be sorely missed."

How in the world can a $230 2500K not be considered one of the best "budget friendly" overclockers in the last 10 years? You spend $230 and it's comparable to the previous $1000 980X OUT OF THE BOX. It overclocks to 4.7 on the most pathetic cooling solutions available and it has to be the simplest overclock I've ever seen! I mean christ, what more can you ask for? Who gives a $hit if you can't change the BCLK or FSB (Yes I know you can use a divider!)... The fact that the average builder can now overclock with confidence IS A GOOD THING! Ask yourself honestly: How many people do you know that buy OC components and never do anything with them? I bet at least 50% of the OC targeted parts in the last 10 years get sold to people that never even attempt to use them correctly.

"Max Multiplier + Max BCLK = Max Clock Speed, totally idiot proof."

UEFI + Multiplier + god awful cooling = 4.7ghz = Win
Old January 10, 2011, 10:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I feel like you sort of missed on fact when complaining about the price premium of the k series. Stepping up from from a non-k sku to a k sku also provides you with an upgraded IGP. Shouldn't that be enough to justify most of the price premium if you look at it from a spec sheet point of view?

I can see as an overclocker, you are going to be using a discreet graphics (probably), so yeah, you don't benefit from the upgrade IGP. I'm still shocked at the price/peformance they hit and the fact that lga 1156 isn't dropping in price. I don't see any value in P55 compared to P67 with these results.

Very enjoyable read :)
Old January 11, 2011, 11:59 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
I feel like you sort of missed on fact when complaining about the price premium of the k series. Stepping up from from a non-k sku to a k sku also provides you with an upgraded IGP. Shouldn't that be enough to justify most of the price premium if you look at it from a spec sheet point of view?
You really can't overclock on H67 motherboards though, and P67 boards can't use the IGP. So you are either buying the K-series model for its overclocking capabilities or superior IGP, not both...at least not until Z68.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
MAC, you referred to a 10-20% increase in performance from Nehalem clock-for-clock due to architectural improvements. Did you test this? Where did you get this from?
Hey MAC? :P
Old January 12, 2011, 02:12 AM
Top Prospect

i am going to build a new computer in February or march , should i get p67 or go for p55 ?
Old January 12, 2011, 03:54 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E.A View Post
i am going to build a new computer in February or march , should i get p67 or go for p55 ?
p55+i3+oc=still doable bang per buck. on p67 you will get 2500k or 2600k, no k dual cores..yet..a shame :)

if you dont overclock, then the regular non k series on 1155 will be good too.
Old January 12, 2011, 04:20 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
p55+i3+oc=still doable bang per buck. on p67 you will get 2500k or 2600k, no k dual cores..yet..a shame :)

if you dont overclock, then the regular non k series on 1155 will be good too.
with p55 i will get core i5 760
with p67 i will get core i5 2500 with or without k and i think i will overclock a little if i need to, so , will there be a significant noticeable difference between both setups ? especially in gaming ..
Old January 12, 2011, 04:29 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
MAC, you referred to a 10-20% increase in performance from Nehalem clock-for-clock due to architectural improvements. Did you test this? Where did you get this from?
Quote:
Hey MAC? :P
I did do a clock-for-clock comparison between Sandy Bridge/Gulftown/Lynnfield/Bloomfield, you can check out the table here.

However, I didn't really intend to post it because a) it was relatively difficult to try and get the SB processors on a level playing field with the other chips, since it has less adjustable multipliers/frequencies, and b) because from what I can tell, disabling EIST & C1E seems to have a slightly greater performance impact on SB chips than the others.

The above table also can't take into account whatever performance gains will be had when AVX comes into play with the release of the SP1 for Win 7.
Old January 13, 2011, 08:53 PM
Top Prospect

I don't know if i can agree with the fact that every CPU has the most likely chance to OC to 44-45 x multi. I believe it highly has to do with the Cooling. Most people are doing their calculations on air. On water, every person on the Xtremesystems forum is getting 4.8-5 ghz quite easily.
Old January 13, 2011, 08:58 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdvox View Post
I don't know if i can agree with the fact that every CPU has the most likely chance to OC to 44-45 x multi. I believe it highly has to do with the Cooling. Most people are doing their calculations on air. On water, every person on the Xtremesystems forum is getting 4.8-5 ghz quite easily.
Nah, cooling doesn't help the multiplier situation at all, if your chip has hit the multiplier wall.

However, as I wrote in the conclusion, while I was writing the review I knew of 1-2 tweaks being worked on that had the potential to greatly improve overclocking on most chips. One has already been embedded in all current BIOSes, so that is partly why people are having such success.

When I got back from CES I tried my 2500K, which had a previous max of 47X, and it can now boot Windows at 51X.