Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2010, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Will the 980x ever be reasonably priced?

Anyone with experience with intel pricing over time got any suggestions? I would consider buying this for <$600, but obviously that ain't going to happen today. Anyone know if there is a good chance that this will drop in price in the next year?

Any thoughts on buying used? I'm a bit worried that someone might sell off their used one after some rough treatment (i.e. damaging voltage used in their o/c) without doing anything that shows up as a 'now' problem.
Old December 31, 2010, 08:29 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Anyone with experience with intel pricing over time got any suggestions? I would consider buying this for <$600, but obviously that ain't going to happen today. .

And tomorrow either, unless you buy it used. They will remain around the same price until they are phase out and replace by a new one.
Old December 31, 2010, 08:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'd never buy one of those "extreme" CPUs...Same thing for the "FX-series" of AMD CPUs from back in the day...Those are more or less "limited-hardcore-niche-look at me".

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one...but it's too expensive...
We need fast hexacores, something better than actual AMD 6-cores (not better than Intel's Quads)...

Who's gonna deliver this first ...AMD (Bulldozer) or Intel (Ivy Bridge)???
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old December 31, 2010, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Look for some decent used prices on 980X over the next few months when the 990X debuts ;) ...Extreme Chips are always $$$$..right until phase out (as was mentioned)....
Old December 31, 2010, 08:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ebay is gonna be the only place to get them for less then $1k, Look at the 975 I think its still $999 and is over a year old and beaten by the 980x yet the price barely went down. I got my 908x for $700 off ebay about 3 months ago, depends on your comfort level buying expensive/used electronics off ebay.

Have an A-1 day!
Old December 31, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look fore 970 Ive seen em at 400$
Old January 1, 2011, 02:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Look fore 970 Ive seen em at 400$
new or used? I wouldn't buy the 970 over the [unlocked] 980 with only ~10% price difference, but I'm in no rush to upgrade to a 6 core from my 930. I'm more than happy to wait and see if I can get a good price when the 980 is discontinued. Yeah, I'd rather buy new as you can never tell if some idiot ran his CPU at 1.5 vcore without telling you :P but Intel has such stupid pricing because they are basically a monopoly (sorry AMD, they got everybody optimizing for their specs). So a bit of yes and a bit of no on a potential price drop [on new] when the lga 1366 6-cores get discontinued... It's too bad that the sockets have to change with sandy bridge.
Old January 1, 2011, 02:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
new or used? I wouldn't buy the 970 over the [unlocked] 980 with only ~10% price difference, but I'm in no rush to upgrade to a 6 core from my 930. I'm more than happy to wait and see if I can get a good price when the 980 is discontinued. Yeah, I'd rather buy new as you can never tell if some idiot ran his CPU at 1.5 vcore without telling you :P but Intel has such stupid pricing because they are basically a monopoly (sorry AMD, they got everybody optimizing for their specs). So a bit of yes and a bit of no on a potential price drop [on new] when the lga 1366 6-cores get discontinued... It's too bad that the sockets have to change with sandy bridge.
probably new from retail edge, i've heard of as low as 450.
Old January 1, 2011, 04:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Weird... That's a 50% discount... Intel hasn't dropped the pricing on them, so I'm surprised a retailer is willing to pay you about $350 to sell you one... Although, it can sometimes be hard to get sales like that due to professionals who buy stuff to re-sell on sties like e-bay.
Old January 1, 2011, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Weird... That's a 50% discount... Intel hasn't dropped the pricing on them, so I'm surprised a retailer is willing to pay you about $350 to sell you one... Although, it can sometimes be hard to get sales like that due to professionals who buy stuff to re-sell on sties like e-bay.
The 'retailer' that is offering them for sale is Intel. Its a promo they offer 2x a year. This years winter promo was a 970 for about $250 Canadian.

$450 is the (going) resale price that the promo receivers are selling them for.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about