Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Will the 980x ever be reasonably priced? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/39486-will-980x-ever-reasonably-priced.html)

draemn December 31, 2010 09:12 PM

Will the 980x ever be reasonably priced?

Anyone with experience with intel pricing over time got any suggestions? I would consider buying this for <$600, but obviously that ain't going to happen today. Anyone know if there is a good chance that this will drop in price in the next year?

Any thoughts on buying used? I'm a bit worried that someone might sell off their used one after some rough treatment (i.e. damaging voltage used in their o/c) without doing anything that shows up as a 'now' problem.

botat29 December 31, 2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draemn (Post 469291)
Anyone with experience with intel pricing over time got any suggestions? I would consider buying this for <$600, but obviously that ain't going to happen today. .

And tomorrow either, unless you buy it used. They will remain around the same price until they are phase out and replace by a new one.

Delavan December 31, 2010 09:37 PM

I'd never buy one of those "extreme" CPUs...Same thing for the "FX-series" of AMD CPUs from back in the day...Those are more or less "limited-hardcore-niche-look at me".

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one...but it's too expensive...
We need fast hexacores, something better than actual AMD 6-cores (not better than Intel's Quads)...

Who's gonna deliver this first ...AMD (Bulldozer) or Intel (Ivy Bridge)???

rjbarker December 31, 2010 09:48 PM

Look for some decent used prices on 980X over the next few months when the 990X debuts ;) ...Extreme Chips are always $$$$..right until phase out (as was mentioned)....

4DoorGTZ December 31, 2010 09:50 PM

Ebay is gonna be the only place to get them for less then $1k, Look at the 975 I think its still $999 and is over a year old and beaten by the 980x yet the price barely went down. I got my 908x for $700 off ebay about 3 months ago, depends on your comfort level buying expensive/used electronics off ebay.

ZZLEE December 31, 2010 11:18 PM

Look fore 970 Ive seen em at 400$

draemn January 1, 2011 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZLEE (Post 469311)
Look fore 970 Ive seen em at 400$

new or used? I wouldn't buy the 970 over the [unlocked] 980 with only ~10% price difference, but I'm in no rush to upgrade to a 6 core from my 930. I'm more than happy to wait and see if I can get a good price when the 980 is discontinued. Yeah, I'd rather buy new as you can never tell if some idiot ran his CPU at 1.5 vcore without telling you :P but Intel has such stupid pricing because they are basically a monopoly (sorry AMD, they got everybody optimizing for their specs). So a bit of yes and a bit of no on a potential price drop [on new] when the lga 1366 6-cores get discontinued... It's too bad that the sockets have to change with sandy bridge.

JMCD January 1, 2011 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draemn (Post 469327)
new or used? I wouldn't buy the 970 over the [unlocked] 980 with only ~10% price difference, but I'm in no rush to upgrade to a 6 core from my 930. I'm more than happy to wait and see if I can get a good price when the 980 is discontinued. Yeah, I'd rather buy new as you can never tell if some idiot ran his CPU at 1.5 vcore without telling you :P but Intel has such stupid pricing because they are basically a monopoly (sorry AMD, they got everybody optimizing for their specs). So a bit of yes and a bit of no on a potential price drop [on new] when the lga 1366 6-cores get discontinued... It's too bad that the sockets have to change with sandy bridge.

probably new from retail edge, i've heard of as low as 450.

draemn January 1, 2011 05:39 AM

Weird... That's a 50% discount... Intel hasn't dropped the pricing on them, so I'm surprised a retailer is willing to pay you about $350 to sell you one... Although, it can sometimes be hard to get sales like that due to professionals who buy stuff to re-sell on sties like e-bay.

Sagath January 1, 2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draemn (Post 469330)
Weird... That's a 50% discount... Intel hasn't dropped the pricing on them, so I'm surprised a retailer is willing to pay you about $350 to sell you one... Although, it can sometimes be hard to get sales like that due to professionals who buy stuff to re-sell on sties like e-bay.

The 'retailer' that is offering them for sale is Intel. Its a promo they offer 2x a year. This years winter promo was a 970 for about $250 Canadian.

$450 is the (going) resale price that the promo receivers are selling them for.