Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2010, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Why rampage 3 extreme?

I've noticed a ton of people who just look straight at the rampage 3 extreme for a new build. This is fine when you want the features it gives for o/c (the ability to monitor through a 2nd device) that aren't found on other boards...

But seriously, I'm a little dumbfounded at all the people who are buying it when they aren't hardcore o/c... I don't see the point in buying this board except for the PCIe layout and o/c enthusiast features. Whenever I see people who are listing this board and aren't enthusiast o/c, I always tell them they are wasting their money and should buy a different board. Heck, most of them are running air cooling which probably won't break the 220 bclk wall found on most boards and i7 chips.

The reason for my post though is that I don't see many other people telling them the rampage 3 extreme is a waste of $$. Any thoughts on when the Rampage 3 extreme is worth it's $$, for a person not on water cooling and not an enthusiast o/c, compared to say gigabytes UD5 ? (or any board of your preference in the < $290 range)
Old December 31, 2010, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hence why i bought two of the gene 3 matx and cheap with kick ass features that i use pretty much all great reason for me but your right lots of folks buy them for epeen
Old January 1, 2011, 09:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

This is probably not the best thread for me to make my first post, but I have noticed similar comments on other boards and just felt the need to respond. The reason why: because I can. There is a $100 dollar difference between the UD5 and the RIII Extreme. For some of us, this difference is insignificant. Why do some people drive BMW's and Mercedes when a Toyota Yaris will get them where they want to go? Who cares?

Now lets get down to the real reasons why I bought the Extreme. I own an Alienware Area 51 X58 computer. I was playing with O/C and am limited by the motherboard and other components. I started researching and came to the conclusion that I could assemble a high-end computer for less money that would allow me to experiment with overclocking. I wanted a board that would permit me to expand my horizons as I learned more about O/C. I am sure the UD5 will let me overclock just as well. But it is not what I wanted.

I also wanted a board that would see me into the future. I am stepping up both my gtx480's to gtx 580's through EVGA's step up program. Eventually I will be adding a third 580 for a tri sli setup to run 3d surround. Do I need this? Nope. But I can get it, so I will. My life is no longer about needs. It is now about being able to obtain my wants without compromising my family's lifestyle.

Finally, I am old enough to have witnessed the introduction of the Commodore 64. Technology changes over time. What is good today is merely ok tomorrow. I bought the Extreme so next year I wont have to but another board because it no longer has the capacity.

Your opinion that it is a waste of money is nothing more than that: an opinion. I see my purchase as an investment. Sure I could get away with saving a $100 bucks now, only to spend more in the near future on an upgraded board because I have limited myself. But I wont. Maybe I will be an extreme overclocker down the road. I have the hardware that will let me. On the other hand, maybe I will just play a lot of games.

In the end, you are happy with the UD5, I am happy with my Extreme. Why should other peoples' purchases be such an issue?

ps. I own neither a BMW or a Mercedes, but I don't begrudge those who do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
I've noticed a ton of people who just look straight at the rampage 3 extreme for a new build. This is fine when you want the features it gives for o/c (the ability to monitor through a 2nd device) that aren't found on other boards...

But seriously, I'm a little dumbfounded at all the people who are buying it when they aren't hardcore o/c... I don't see the point in buying this board except for the PCIe layout and o/c enthusiast features. Whenever I see people who are listing this board and aren't enthusiast o/c, I always tell them they are wasting their money and should buy a different board. Heck, most of them are running air cooling which probably won't break the 220 bclk wall found on most boards and i7 chips.

The reason for my post though is that I don't see many other people telling them the rampage 3 extreme is a waste of $$. Any thoughts on when the Rampage 3 extreme is worth it's $$, for a person not on water cooling and not an enthusiast o/c, compared to say gigabytes UD5 ? (or any board of your preference in the < $290 range)
Old January 1, 2011, 04:16 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
. Any thoughts on the Rampage 3 extreme ...
it's a pretty sexy board
Old January 1, 2011, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Got a GENE fore 255$ 1366
Old January 1, 2011, 05:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The X58 is the best of the best, so it'd make sense to recommend a top-tier board by default. But from what I've been reading, I've found the Asus Sabertooth and Gigabyte's UD3 to be the boards most recommended for X58 builds, recently. Probably depends on the demographics of the forum.
Old January 1, 2011, 05:50 PM
Rookie

Thank you for that post, it perfectly mirrors where I am and what I've done, and you wrote it in such a way as to sound like a reasonable human being. Lol, I've tried to write a response like this, but always delete before actually posting because it never sounds like yours. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockworm View Post
This is probably not the best thread for me to make my first post, but I have noticed similar comments on other boards and just felt the need to respond. The reason why: because I can. There is a $100 dollar difference between the UD5 and the RIII Extreme. For some of us, this difference is insignificant. Why do some people drive BMW's and Mercedes when a Toyota Yaris will get them where they want to go? Who cares?

Now lets get down to the real reasons why I bought the Extreme. I own an Alienware Area 51 X58 computer. I was playing with O/C and am limited by the motherboard and other components. I started researching and came to the conclusion that I could assemble a high-end computer for less money that would allow me to experiment with overclocking. I wanted a board that would permit me to expand my horizons as I learned more about O/C. I am sure the UD5 will let me overclock just as well. But it is not what I wanted.

I also wanted a board that would see me into the future. I am stepping up both my gtx480's to gtx 580's through EVGA's step up program. Eventually I will be adding a third 580 for a tri sli setup to run 3d surround. Do I need this? Nope. But I can get it, so I will. My life is no longer about needs. It is now about being able to obtain my wants without compromising my family's lifestyle.

Finally, I am old enough to have witnessed the introduction of the Commodore 64. Technology changes over time. What is good today is merely ok tomorrow. I bought the Extreme so next year I wont have to but another board because it no longer has the capacity.

Your opinion that it is a waste of money is nothing more than that: an opinion. I see my purchase as an investment. Sure I could get away with saving a $100 bucks now, only to spend more in the near future on an upgraded board because I have limited myself. But I wont. Maybe I will be an extreme overclocker down the road. I have the hardware that will let me. On the other hand, maybe I will just play a lot of games.

In the end, you are happy with the UD5, I am happy with my Extreme. Why should other peoples' purchases be such an issue?

ps. I own neither a BMW or a Mercedes, but I don't begrudge those who do.

Last edited by ToxicStorm; January 1, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old January 1, 2011, 05:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I chose an R3E for a few reasons:
1. It's looks sweet! Black PCB and everything else is either black or red.
2. EK makes a water block for it
3. The switches for the PCIE lanes are awesome if you are going to be messing around with xfire or SLI.
4. The PCI/E layout is great.
5. Unlike an EVGA 4 way, it will fit in most cases and still be able to use the bottom slot.

After running the board for a while, I also like the USB overclocking from my netbook, and the integrated PWR/RST switches would be perfect if you wanted to run this board on a testbench. Also, the BIOS is pretty awesome, and the dual bios chips are a good idea. integrated blue-tooth is a nice touch also.

All that being said, Other boards have more SATA ports, which is only an issue if you are raiding HDs and running multiple optical drives, and the R3E only has 1 USB header... So you need an NZXT usb header splitter if your case requires more than 1 header.

The board has other features like the voltage test points, which I would say are only for the most hardcore users.

I would say, if you are building X58 and have the money, get either this or the EVGA classified 4 way. If budget is a concern, grab a UD5, UD3 or a Sabertooth.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old January 1, 2011, 06:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks TS. I had to think a bit before I wrote it (and edit a lot once I did). If you are like me, the computer at home is a hobby. I use one at work for business and can't muck around with it. Getting older has it's benefits. Being able to play with cool toys is definitely one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicStorm View Post
Thank you for that post, it perfectly mirrors where I am and what I've done, and you wrote it in such a way as to sound like a reasonable human being. Lol, I've tried to write a response like this, but always delete before actually posting because it never sounds like yours. :)
Old January 1, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
I chose an R3E for a few reasons:
1. It's looks sweet! Black PCB and everything else is either black or red.
2. EK makes a water block for it
3. The switches for the PCIE lanes are awesome if you are going to be messing around with xfire or SLI.
4. The PCI/E layout is great.
5. Unlike an EVGA 4 way, it will fit in most cases and still be able to use the bottom slot.

After running the board for a while, I also like the USB overclocking from my netbook, and the integrated PWR/RST switches would be perfect if you wanted to run this board on a testbench. Also, the BIOS is pretty awesome, and the dual bios chips are a good idea. integrated blue-tooth is a nice touch also.

All that being said, Other boards have more SATA ports, which is only an issue if you are raiding HDs and running multiple optical drives, and the R3E only has 1 USB header... So you need an NZXT usb header splitter if your case requires more than 1 header.

The board has other features like the voltage test points, which I would say are only for the most hardcore users.

I would say, if you are building X58 and have the money, get either this or the EVGA classified 4 way. If budget is a concern, grab a UD5, UD3 or a Sabertooth.
I was more thinking why people would buy it when they can't use 1/2 the features... not people who actually can and will use the high end features on the board. I totally get the point of the board if you can actually use what it offers.