Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2011, 07:40 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Rampage II Formula I feel is a great alternative. Reasons I bought it:

1. Great PCI-E layout (ability to use the top PCI-E for graphics, and the Bottom PCI-E for extra cooling for the top card, and still run 16x for both cards)
2. Intel Nic
3. Dual bios chips (physical chips)
4. USB 3.0

Costs $300, which is indeed expensive and the upper limit I would spend on a mobo.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 1, 2011, 07:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
I was more thinking why people would buy it when they can't use 1/2 the features... not people who actually can and will use the high end features on the board. I totally get the point of the board if you can actually use what it offers.
In that case, I think it is just because it looks great.

Look at the colour choices from other manufacturers... At least gigabyte smartened up and is going to do black PCBs now.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old January 1, 2011, 08:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It's black and red! Seriously, it matches my YL fans. Then again, I picked it up for $200 used, so it wasn't out of the ballpark when compared to the price of other x58 boards.
Old January 10, 2011, 05:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i myself just finished picking both of these up for a new build
Intel Core i7 950 Quad Core
Buy Intel [BX80601950] Intel Core i7 950 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 3.06GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S
ASUS Rampage III Formula Rog X58
Buy ASUS [Rampage III Formula] ASUS Rampage III Formula Rog X58 DDR3 ATX LGA1366 3PCI-E16 X-FI Motherboard

Picked them both up for $289.79 a piece I thought that was avery good price

I am thinking on going with this memory
Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 240-pin DIMM (CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9) | Canada Computers
Will also be adding this to the mix
Kingston SSDNow V-Series G2 2.5", 128GB
Kingston SSDNow V-Series G2 2.5", 128GB, SATA Solid State Drive 200MB/sec. read; 160MB/sec. write (SNV425-S2/128GB) | Canada Computers
Corsair 800D case /750AX Corsair PSU
3x Samsung E2320 Lcds in Eyefinity
Old January 10, 2011, 09:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockworm View Post
This is probably not the best thread for me to make my first post, but I have noticed similar comments on other boards and just felt the need to respond. The reason why: because I can. There is a $100 dollar difference between the UD5 and the RIII Extreme. For some of us, this difference is insignificant. Why do some people drive BMW's and Mercedes when a Toyota Yaris will get them where they want to go? Who cares?

Now lets get down to the real reasons why I bought the Extreme. I own an Alienware Area 51 X58 computer. I was playing with O/C and am limited by the motherboard and other components. I started researching and came to the conclusion that I could assemble a high-end computer for less money that would allow me to experiment with overclocking. I wanted a board that would permit me to expand my horizons as I learned more about O/C. I am sure the UD5 will let me overclock just as well. But it is not what I wanted.

I also wanted a board that would see me into the future. I am stepping up both my gtx480's to gtx 580's through EVGA's step up program. Eventually I will be adding a third 580 for a tri sli setup to run 3d surround. Do I need this? Nope. But I can get it, so I will. My life is no longer about needs. It is now about being able to obtain my wants without compromising my family's lifestyle.

Finally, I am old enough to have witnessed the introduction of the Commodore 64. Technology changes over time. What is good today is merely ok tomorrow. I bought the Extreme so next year I wont have to but another board because it no longer has the capacity.

Your opinion that it is a waste of money is nothing more than that: an opinion. I see my purchase as an investment. Sure I could get away with saving a $100 bucks now, only to spend more in the near future on an upgraded board because I have limited myself. But I wont. Maybe I will be an extreme overclocker down the road. I have the hardware that will let me. On the other hand, maybe I will just play a lot of games.

In the end, you are happy with the UD5, I am happy with my Extreme. Why should other peoples' purchases be such an issue?

ps. I own neither a BMW or a Mercedes, but I don't begrudge those who do.

Well written Rockworm.
Old January 10, 2011, 10:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
I've noticed a ton of people who just look straight at the rampage 3 extreme for a new build. This is fine when you want the features it gives for o/c (the ability to monitor through a 2nd device) that aren't found on other boards...

But seriously, I'm a little dumbfounded at all the people who are buying it when they aren't hardcore o/c... I don't see the point in buying this board except for the PCIe layout and o/c enthusiast features. Whenever I see people who are listing this board and aren't enthusiast o/c, I always tell them they are wasting their money and should buy a different board. Heck, most of them are running air cooling which probably won't break the 220 bclk wall found on most boards and i7 chips.

The reason for my post though is that I don't see many other people telling them the rampage 3 extreme is a waste of $$. Any thoughts on when the Rampage 3 extreme is worth it's $$, for a person not on water cooling and not an enthusiast o/c, compared to say gigabytes UD5 ? (or any board of your preference in the < $290 range)
My own thoughts when it comes to purchasing a board that is beyond what I'd ever use it for.
I have found over the years that the OC enthusiast boards tend to be made of much better components, as they need to be when used as intended. Even if I don't OC, the less you pay for your board or the more 'budget' it is, sacrifices need to be made. Be it in the Power Phase, the Caps on board, etc etc.

I always aim for longevity, and would rather a board last longer (not always the case) and should the need actually arrise down the road I can toy with all the features.

Case and point for me at least.

I could be way off key, but so far using this logic it hasn't failed me yet.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com