Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

Default Mobo and heatsink issue?

Hi,
I have a question for those experienced at doing their own builds. Anyone experienced with aftermarket heatsinks?

I had a tech do a build for me and I think the heatsink looks off center a bit. It looks crooked. Is that possible? It's a tower heatsink so I don't know if I should do it over or not. If it's taken apart, I have to take the entire motherboard out of the case, right? Because of the backplate? I feel so inept! I am only used to assembling with stock heatsinks.

No fan was attached, either. Shouldn't this be standard? Sorry, I don't know what the process is.

I'm looking for some advice as what's done is done. What would you do? Is it a complicated job putting these heatsinks together? I know that is probably a silly question on here but this is the 2nd time I've been disappointed with the assembly and I wanted to make sure the cpu is cooled sufficiently.

Thanks for reading my dumb post... I wish there was a class for the specific task of assembliing aftermarket heatsinks! Then I could do builds no problem!

Many thanks in advance for any replies! I know I sound like a numbskull...
Old December 30, 2010, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Tower based heatsinks can spin a bit and seem to be off center.
Old December 30, 2010, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

what heat sink is it ?
Old December 30, 2010, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup quite a few of then are center mounted so they can spin on said center as long as it's cooling your fine
Old December 30, 2010, 06:34 PM
Banned
F@H

welcome aboard man.

ok, we need info on all your hardware, shut it down and put it on the side for now. slowly giggle it(edit : heatsink, not the puter lol) around and see if there is any movement.

as per above, it can be normal to look off center.

now, before you do anything, if your temps are fine dont bother(unless its loose)
Old December 31, 2010, 06:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
what heat sink is it ?
I think it's called a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. It doesn't seem to be in stores anymore so I think this model is discontinued or has had a revision (is that would you'd describe newer versions as?).

I haven't checked yet if it's loose but it couldn't possibly be???? The tech wouldn't be that careless would he?

I should have tried the install myself, I think. But, I am not sure it would only take me a day or two!

I've since been given the instructions for installing this particular heatsink with the recommendation of using Arctic 5 silver. If the heatsink is not loose, should I just leave it? I guess if it's loose, I will have a project to do...

Lastly, thanks for the replies but what do you guys think about fans? I wanted at least one fan installed but the tech didn't do it. I've seen these black fan holders so would that be a better fit? I might need a new fan, though. Should I get the Noctua fans? They seem like the popular fan for heatsinks. I had one fan left but it might be defective so the tech didn't use it.

Thanks for your replies, guys! Do you build your own systems? How do you approach the install of these tower heatsinks? I think it's weird that two techs have almost done it the same method... no fan attached and I'm not sure I should have passive cooling!

Old December 31, 2010, 07:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The design of the TRUE (your cooler) like most of the Thermalright coolers are held in place at the centre only. So it will twist and turn very easily when installed, it's perfectly normal and isn't a performance issue, unless the base isn't making any contact with the CPU, which should be fairly obvious since your system should be pretty unstable.

Now as for the tower being fanless, yes it can be run fanless without too many issues, since it's a fairly high performance design and still a contender to this day. I wouldn't recommend running it passive.
However, I have no idea what you mean by black fan holders, most heatsinks and Thermalright designs use wires to clip on the fans, with only a few exceptions. Maybe you're talking about the plastic frame fan mount? Like the one on the Venomous-X RT? Product | Thermalright Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA

TBH, if you don't trust techs, just do it yourself. No point in making yourself worry over nothing and feeling paranoid over someone else's work all the time. It's not a difficult process, just be calm and careful and do your research. (ie read the instructions, although I frequently neglect that and get punished for it)

One thing to note, did you order a fan to go with the aftermarket cooler? Plenty of techs will realize customers have forgotten to order a fan and then just let the cooler run passive. (not all of them come with fans)
Old December 31, 2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
welcome aboard man.

ok, we need info on all your hardware, shut it down and put it on the side for now. slowly giggle it(edit : heatsink, not the puter lol) around and see if there is any movement.

as per above, it can be normal to look off center.

now, before you do anything, if your temps are fine dont bother(unless its loose)
What program do you recommend to use to check temps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
The design of the TRUE (your cooler) like most of the Thermalright coolers are held in place at the centre only. So it will twist and turn very easily when installed, it's perfectly normal and isn't a performance issue, unless the base isn't making any contact with the CPU, which should be fairly obvious since your system should be pretty unstable.

Now as for the tower being fanless, yes it can be run fanless without too many issues, since it's a fairly high performance design and still a contender to this day. I wouldn't recommend running it passive.
However, I have no idea what you mean by black fan holders, most heatsinks and Thermalright designs use wires to clip on the fans, with only a few exceptions. Maybe you're talking about the plastic frame fan mount? Like the one on the Venomous-X RT? Product | Thermalright Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA

TBH, if you don't trust techs, just do it yourself. No point in making yourself worry over nothing and feeling paranoid over someone else's work all the time. It's not a difficult process, just be calm and careful and do your research. (ie read the instructions, although I frequently neglect that and get punished for it)

One thing to note, did you order a fan to go with the aftermarket cooler? Plenty of techs will realize customers have forgotten to order a fan and then just let the cooler run passive. (not all of them come with fans)
No, 'didn't order a fan yet but I thought I had an extra one. lol! I think I should use one, though. Do you like Noctua? Actually, you know what, I had a specific fan for the heatsink but I think the tech installed it as a case fan!

I'm wondering which side you install the heatsink fan? It's not on the 'exhaust' side, right? There's a 120mm (?) fan on the exhaust port of the case. I'm not sure what you call that...lol. Anyway, this is on an Antec 300.

There's not much room between this case fan and the heatsink but I notice in some pictures, dual fans sometimes.

Yes, that fan holder is what I was talking about although I've never seen that particular one before. I didn't even know it it existed! lol! I guess that is a newer version? I was only familiar with this one:

Product | Thermalright Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA

Product | Thermalright Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA

But, it would take up extra room and it could probably only fit on the one side (closer to the front of the case)?

I think I still have the clips if I need them.

Anyway, yeah, I don't trust techs now! At least, not here! I was told by someone to take it back and demand my money back but that seems extreme and the shops around here are pretty lousy so I'm not sure I want to eliminate one of my sources of a local hardware shop. I should have tried it myself like you suggest. I'd have to go slow, though. At least, I have one computer I could use for a guide online. I'm not sure what the temps are so far but the computer seems relatively stable. The only problem I had is XP not starting up but that's probably because I switched the BIOS to AHCI mode and I switched motherboards which meant a switch of both chipset and SATA controllers. I think I expressed that accurately?

I was going to switch to Windows 7 anyway but I'm backing up some data first.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I feel like a doofus compared to your expertise! :D
Old December 31, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring
Old January 2, 2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

Thanks, gingerbee!

That one looks good!

Any thoughts on installing a fan for the heatsink? I am not sure whether to use clips or a holder but I have the clips.

I was wondering if the Scythe S-Flex fans are good enough or should I go for a Noctua fan. It's $12 versus $20 (Noctua) so I'm saving about $8 or so.