Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2010, 12:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Im kinda lol'ing that Intel users will yet again be paying to change sockets in the near future.

I expect to see a huge influx of all the "old" stuff on the FS threads any day now, then I'll be laughing just a little more
how can major changes in the micro-architecture could use the same mobo designed for the the previous one..explain me that
it's not a simple revision of westmere it's a new architecture.
Old December 28, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
how can major changes in the micro-architecture could use the same mobo designed for the the previous one..explain me that
it's not a simple revision of westmere it's a new architecture.
Its more of a choice for Intel to go the cost effective reel in the dough route. Asrock already made a 1156 board with the P67 chipset, it's not that big of an architectural change. AMD isn't really able to compete performance wise so they bite the bullet and try to offer better value with backwards compatibility.

I also have a feeling these new boards are going to require DDR3 1600 RAM out of the box... (judging from RAM pricing trends)
Old December 28, 2010, 02:45 PM
Rookie

My all time favourite motherboard colour scheme was the black and grey used on some EVGA motherboards, with the black and red of ASUS's ROG line a close second. In my opion Gigabytes' black scheme and it's previous blue and white are both good but not great. However mother board colour isn't a big deal to me.

The UD4 has all the features I need/want, and I like the layout and the mix of PCI/PCIe/PCIe-16X slots. The UD7 includes several features neither want nor am willing to pay for (i.e. the NF200). It will also be interesting to see what, if anything, Gigabyte will be selling as P67 UD5 and UD6 boards.
Old December 28, 2010, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Im kinda lol'ing that Intel users will yet again be paying to change sockets in the near future.

I expect to see a huge influx of all the "old" stuff on the FS threads any day now, then I'll be laughing just a little more
Well thats why there are people like me that are not switching and lol at the performance he still gets compared to AMD.

Maybe some of the more exensive CPU's will go down in price and can upgrade me ancient 920.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 28, 2010, 08:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I've found Gigabyte's blue and white scheme to be endearing. Whatever happened to ECS' purple, or a white motherboard like that one from Sapphire?! Those were cool.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:40 PM
MVP

So just to clarify, can basically no add in card fit in the top PCI-E X1 slot on the UD7?
Old December 28, 2010, 11:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There are some SATA cards that would fit.. you could stick in a riser adaptory thing too. I bet there are some USB cards that you could make use of as well.
But yea, it is sad that there is no real room for cards in that slot. :(
At least there are 7 slots I guess, I am so sick of seeing highend boards with six!(damn you ASUS! >:| )

We need boards with 8-10 being more common. I mean, it is so easy to fill seven up that it is not even funny and the problem is only compounded by dual slot cards! :< (meaning that you have to watercool and buy a bunch of $100+ single slot waterblocks that you have to replace each time you get new cards)
Old December 29, 2010, 01:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

My apologies for nitpicking, but having just watched a particular episode of How I Met Your Mother (apropos given the MSI review) I must mention this: virtual, versus literal.

A literal laundry list would include actual items meant for the laundry -- thus the board would include starched collars, pressed socks, etc. A virtual laundry list is the correct usage.
Old December 29, 2010, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your camera seems to have some noticeable lense distortion. Aside from that, it's a nice preview article. If you do happen to have a follow up review, I'd love to hear more about the power features of the board. I was quite impressed with the X58 boards and their different LLC and power management, etc. I'm not well versed in the field, but find it extremely interesting to get the detailed review on the guts of what makes it good at o/c.