Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2010, 04:53 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default OCing a Phenom II X3 740 BE Unlocked

I'm just wondering if it's safe to pump more voltage in this thing without turning CnQ off? I see a lot of OCing with X2 555 BE's, 955BE's and 1090T's but not too much with these tri's. I don't need the maximum possible OC and would like to conserve energy where possible since I don't game all that much.

I unlocked it and ran Prime 95 for 6 hours at 3600mhz+ already with CnQ on and left voltages on Auto. Seems to be hitting 1.40 according to CPU-Z under load. What are other people getting with these chips? All in all i'm pretty pleased with this, 600mhz and a free core isn't too shabby!

EDIT: Oh and it's cooled by a Hyper 212+ in a case with quite a few fans (HAF 912)
Old December 20, 2010, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First off, when you overclock you should have Cool n Quiet turned off. Turn it back on after the overclock if you wish, though you should be folding instead :P

Second, the max voltage I would put on air cooling is 1.45 to 1.5Vcore. Anymore and you're asking for trouble.

Third. Use manual voltages when overclocking! Do not use anything auto!
Old December 20, 2010, 08:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
First off, when you overclock you should have Cool n Quiet turned off. Turn it back on after the overclock if you wish, though you should be folding instead :P

Second, the max voltage I would put on air cooling is 1.45 to 1.5Vcore. Anymore and you're asking for trouble.

Third. Use manual voltages when overclocking! Do not use anything auto!
Done, done and done. Just wondering on the first point though, why is it necessary to turn it off when you first OC if i'm going to run Prime 95 immediately anyways?
Old December 20, 2010, 08:16 PM
Banned
F@H

cool n q plays with the voltage, multi's. a stable oc is one you can fully control. its possible that when cnq kicks in for it to become unstable, or weird things like temporary freezes due to insufficient juice to the cpu and such.