Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unhappy Gigabyte H55M Issues

Ok so NCIX finally gets everything in for my build and I go set everything up.

The board is a Gigabyte H55M USB3 and it has a few issues I can't work out:

The first and most annoying problem is the board will not boot no matter what case I put it in!!!! I can't figure out what's shorting it, there is absolutely no flex in the board and the board itself is very physically sturdy. I have even tried using plastic motherboard standoffs! As well as the insulating rings for the brass standoffs!

The second problem is the board will not POST with any video card that requires external power, only cards that have a very low TDP. I've tried it with a known good X-750, a new X-560 that works, and a bad but working 700W Ultra, no dice on anything. Should I expect this for a non premium matx board? I was originally planning to put a GTX470 in here... Should I try exchanging it for another one and try again? I would've thought the board could handle a high end graphics card with 11 total power phases... (they look pretty high quality too)

I could use anything to bounce ideas off of, thanks guys.
Old December 14, 2010, 08:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

Try resetting the BIOS first and see what happens.

I guess you tried booting it outside a case?

Old December 14, 2010, 11:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_zappa View Post
Try resetting the BIOS first and see what happens.

I guess you tried booting it outside a case?
Been messing with the BIOS settings, tried the different defaults and whatnot, set graphics to PCI, PEG, PEG2, no dice.

Yup, tried outside the case, that's how I know the board is "functional." Really stumped on this one since the usual two culprits (flexing and standoffs) have been ruled out.

I started to think that maybe I was pumping too much juice into the board, a 200W GPU and a 95W CPU might be too much for the board. But on second though, a dual core is only about 20W less than the current CPU and the PCI-E 2.0 spec should allow for a GTX 470, even in a low end board. TBH, this board doesn't look low end once you get your hands on it, 11 friggin power phases on such a tiny board... I know power phases don't mean much, but a board with more than 6 should be able to handle a moderate load, and this doesn't seem like it's handling a small one.
Old December 17, 2010, 10:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

I would just put it in a case without any screws to troubleshoot where the short is coming from. Add screws one by one.

You mentioned the 700W Ultra is bad. Maybe the GPU cable is the culprit?

Old December 17, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I found the short, believe it or not it was the I/O shield! First time that's happened to me, nothing a little electrical tape didn't fix though.

As for the GPU: Do you think my warranty is void?
That's what happened.

Really good news though, the card didn't actually fry! The Nvidia OCP triggered when the card shorted out. Go Green Team! I was originally trying to further clean the back of the card to erase all evidence, (after cleaning and testing once) figured I should try a blow dryer to try and dry the label and free it from that oil stain. After a while I realized it was a little too slow of a process, I plugged the card into my system and fired it up with the fan unplugged to see if that would heat up the back of the card. I got a POST beep and I was shot with a ray of hope! The card was working, there was just too much oil stuck that I didn't clean off, causing the OCP to trigger. I just got the system going this morning and plan on some major motherfolding this weekend.
Old December 17, 2010, 01:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

Good job for getting it working.