Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29, 2007, 11:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Looking for a new motherboard

Well I've nearly had it with my P5N-E SLI...

So I'm considering getting a new board along with some water cooling.
Now if somebody could give me some assurance that any recommended board will support 4x1GB RAM along with RAID0 and another SATA HD and SATA DVD-RW flawlessly and not limit my overclocking, then I'm sold. Also what about PCIe 2.0? Does the P35 support this?

Key thing is overclocking. My P5N-E crippled itself after I setup RAID0.

I've been looking at the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R and ASUS P5K-E Wifi. I do have a Noctua NC-U6 w/60mm fan that I'd like to use on the new board, unless water is recommended over it. With the P5K series, they use a heatpipe and thus the MOSFETs would loose their cooling if I remove it.

The plain P5K-E looks good but I can't find it in Canada just yet. Premier Computer Canada says Jan 5 though.

I'd like to try and keep the price to $150 or so as well if possible.
Old December 30, 2007, 02:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Well I've nearly had it with my P5N-E SLI...

So I'm considering getting a new board along with some water cooling.
Now if somebody could give me some assurance that any recommended board will support 4x1GB RAM along with RAID0 and another SATA HD and SATA DVD-RW flawlessly and not limit my overclocking, then I'm sold. Also what about PCIe 2.0? Does the P35 support this?

Key thing is overclocking. My P5N-E crippled itself after I setup RAID0.

I've been looking at the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R and ASUS P5K-E Wifi. I do have a Noctua NC-U6 w/60mm fan that I'd like to use on the new board, unless water is recommended over it. With the P5K series, they use a heatpipe and thus the MOSFETs would loose their cooling if I remove it.

The plain P5K-E looks good but I can't find it in Canada just yet. Premier Computer Canada says Jan 5 though.

I'd like to try and keep the price to $150 or so as well if possible.
X38/X48 support PCIe 2.0(not P35). The P5K-E(vanilla)doesn't have the heatpipe setup on the VRMs... just heatsinks. PCC has the P5K-E WiFi AP in stock, which is basically the same(but with heatpipe cooled NB/VRMs) as the P5K-E... and for the same price. GL